Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Bathroom issues

BarbF01BBarbF01 Posts: 124
I've noticed that my need to use the bathroom has drastically increased lately (esp. since I srated having lower back pain). I didnt have have this kind of issue when I had my cervical spine issues.... And, its not that I can't hold it, it's just that I have to go all of the darn time (more so, and urgently if Ive been sitting for a bit). The good thing is that I have no trouble w/ "holding it" for a few minutes (once I feel the need to go and have to get down the hallway to use the bathroom), but I feel like I can't be more than a few minutes away from the closest potty at any time! :( I brought it up to my Ortho/spine Doc and I think he said that it had something to do with my spine shifting forward - but I can't remember what else he said about it, as I was too overwhelmed about all of the rest of my treatment questions. I go back to see him on the 25th, but Ive been wondering about this...

• Sorry about what you're going through. You may want to see your primary doctor and have him check you out too. I had double fusion on my lower back 5 weeks ago, and went to my doctor because of having to go to the bathroom allot. He ran a test for diabetes and called me and said I may have diabetes. I have to go back in and have another test. He said that sometimes a major surgery or any surgery can bring an illness that may be laying dormant. I thought I was just tired from the surgery etc... Not saying you have that, but it doesn't hurt to get checked out.
  • I too have the same problem and it started before the back surgerys..I actually have a Sacral Nerve Stimulator implanted for this issue as I was going every other minute and my bladder could only hold 80mls..

My Dr said certain medications can increase the need to use the bathroom, especially paracetemol based products..

Best to speak with your Dr just to be safe and sure..

Hope this helps
  • ever since my last operation lower back l5/4 and s1 i have need to pee more and its urgent sometimes ..i asked my doctor and he has told me that the nerves controlling your bladder are being tweaked sometime i feel like i need to go but can't then a few minutes later i need to go ..i have lost sexual function also but again i have been told that this is due to the nerve damage
  • I did talk to my Dr about this, and he thought that it may be b/c of nerve issues. So, I guess it'll just be something new that goes along w/ all of this! Good thing that one of my good friends is pregnant, so I know that I'll have a bathroom "buddy" (as we women like to go in pairs or even groups) for a while now :)
  • i have similiar issues & was told it was nerve damage :(