Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Will I be able to do distance running again?

BrianBBrian Posts: 11
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:46 AM in Recovering from Surgery
I am 10 days post from a microdiscectomy. Last year before the pain started I was an avid distance runner. Is it over? How many years should I wait before I can try doing some running again. I am 35 and have a dream of someday finishing a marathon. Advice?

• Did you ever discuss this with your surgeon? It's impossible for any of us to say whether or not you will be able to do distance running again. There are so many variables that go into determining that for us to venture a guess would be no more accurate than flipping a coin. Of all the things necessary to make something like that possible, most importantly you need to have the right attitude. I have a couple friends who have had very serious spine injuries an some complex surgeries and one ran the USMC Marathon last year and the other still runs 30 -35 miles a week.

What I like to do is make a list of these types of questions, that typically come up after surgery, and I take it with me to my follow up appointment. By then the surgeon will be able to see how your recovery is going and give you a better answer.

Welcome to Spine Health,

• I know a couple different people who have had spine surgeries and they both run. I personally have too much degeneration and it hurts too badly to run. I would definately not count it out but let your surgeon know your hopes and ask for his opinion. He should be able to let you know what your bounderies should be. Do you have just one level involved? I would just take in consideration how it might affect your whole spine unfortunately hard impact exercise can be hard on the spine...darn it.
  • I will surely bring it up with my doctor again. I actually asked the resident doctor when I was discharged, he did not give me a clear answer. I have met with the senior neurosurgeon at the hospital and I have my neurosurgeons email. I'll try to get a better idea from one of them. Thanks for the replies!!
  • Each of us are different of course. You might be a runner when all is healed and good, might not! Your body will let you know after your doctor clears you. I am not a runner, but know some who "live" for it. I hope you are one that is able to go back to your obviously much loved activity!!! :)

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.