Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Please Don't Laugh....

Mindymork62MMindymork62 Posts: 207
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:46 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I had a double fusion with instrumentation and bone graft on the 29th of June, so I'm about 5 weeks post-op. I've still been in allot of pain and walking a little around the house. I have a knee problem from arthritis and hip problems as well so it's been a very slow process in recovery.
I started taking Ambien a few weeks before my surgery to help with sleep issues. Well, apparently ( I don't remember any of this) I went into my daughters bedroom early yesterday morning after she went to work and cleaned her whole room. Bent down on the floor to put all her shoes up higher in her closet, picked up all the stuff she had on her floor and put it all away. Then I was in the kitchen and removed all the food, like package spaghetti and cans of soup on the lowest shelf of our cabinet and put it all on the counter. I can hear some of you laughing. LOL Except that today I have been in the worse pain and slept most of the day. Could I have messed up my fusion? I already have soft bones to begin with. My Dr. said to stop taking the Ambien and ice the back until I go to him tomorrow. I couldn't imagine riding in the car at all today. Ambien can cause sleep walking which I discovered the hard way and I wasn't even wearing my brace.

• that ambien can do some very strange things to people. I was smiling a little reading your post but I was also cringing a little to. I haven't had a fusion so I can't speak for you possibly messing anything up. I can imagine what you did probably aggrivated things it may take a few days to settle down. I accidently feel down a couple days ago and man I feel like someone beat the crap out of me. You did a good thing by calling your doctor, I hope he can ease your mind. Let us know what happened.
  • I can't take that stuff either. After my second surgery they gave it to me. My (at the time) 16 year old daughter caught me up at 2AM baking a sweet potato pie! I think I remember it, but it's like a haze. I thought she was just screwing with dear old dad's mind until she showed me the partially mixed pie on the cabinet!
  • Good you called your Surgeon and hope you're okay and didn't do any harm too yourself. I slept walked once when I was younger and put the coffee in the closet and tried to get out of the bachelor apt. while having my brother and Mother there visiting. I was taking some kind of med for sleep. It's worrisome but heard you usually don't do anything too out of the ordinary what you would do if you didn't have surgery. Hope all is well and you get a clean bill of health from your Dr. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Im sorry but it is funny. we are not laughing at you, but with you.
    you have to be careful with that stuff from now on, or have someone lock you in your room at nite.

watching people sleep walk is funny. when my son was 10 y/o he was going thru that sleep walking phase and he one nite came in to the front room, and stood in the corner and took a leak. i could'nt get up and take him to the bathroom, cause i was to busy laughing. :))(

maybe you could take tylenol pm.

take care.

• I think you need to handcuff yourself to the bed each night!! :?

I must warn you that this is not medical advice!
    I am not medically trained and this isn't even from my own personal experience!! Lol! :))(

Hope you feel better very soon.
    Take care :-)
  • Yes, I had a friend who was on Controlled Release ambien and she got up one night and woke up her grandkids to ask them if they were cold and then gave them each a candy bar; another night she got up and cooked a mexican meal to the dismay of her husband when he went to make coffee the next morning and saw the disaster in the kitchen.

Believe it or not, she still takes it because she can't sleep without it.

Wow it is an issue for ANY post surgical patient -- to not even feel pain while cleaning your daughter's room -- yikes! Sure hope you're okay and the ice packs will help the inflammation you're experiencing.

Take care,

• Oh Mindy! I feel so bad for you and can't imagine the pain you must be feeling!

I hope your meds are able to give you some relief while you wait for your appointment tomorrow.

Does Ice help?

Please let us know what your surgeon said!

I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers! Wishing you the very best!
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    I'm lucky that Ambien works for me and I don't do any unexpected activity. I had a cervical epidural injection Tuesday and took an ambien that night. I guess I was in pain because hubby said I was clearly making pain sounds a lot, but for me the ambien knocked me out enough that I slept and don't recall that at all.
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • It's actually good you shared this experience so others can be aware of the side effects. Wow, scary stuff.

• I find that if I just take Ambien and nothing else at that time, that I don't sleep walk. Also, I have the Ambien right on the bed table and take it "after" I get in bed. The Dr. said it can give you a false sense of "energy" and you may think you're fully awake after you take it and then wait awhile, but you're not. So, just a caution.