Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Anterior Cervical Disc Operation

WonderboytwiceWWonderboytwice Posts: 149
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:46 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
:| I am due to have 3 to 4 cervical discs removed by the Anterior Method and replaced with titanium cages. Had a lengthy PLIF operation in December 2008 and it seems that this is causing problems at top of spine. Has anyone else had the same problems? I am just looking forward to getting rid of most if not all of my neck and shoulder pain. My operation date is 10th September 2010.

• jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
    I have had the anterior cervical fusion with corpectomy. When I woke my pain was gone other then the normal surgery pain. One day in the hospital and I think it was 6 weeks recovery. I wore the hard collar only when I left the house and a soft collar for at home and sleep.
    good luck with your surgery .
  • Hi Susan

Thanks for your reply which has made me feel great. I am getting op at RNOH Stanmore, Middlesex as I live in St Albans, Herts.

Kind regards.

• I notice that you are fairly new here, so welcome to Spine Health.

I see that you are in the UK. There are a few of us from the UK. I am in Sussex.

I wonder if your PLIF did cause your cervical problems, or you just have trouble with your spine anyway.
    Have you been told that it is caused by your PLIF?

I had a PLIF in March this year and just today saw my GP, who has referred me to see a surgeon and MRI scan on my neck. I had trouble with my neck before my surgery, so don't think that caused it, but it has got worse since the fusion.

I wish you well for your surgery on 10th September. Have you taken a look around the site? There is a lot of helpful information here and a list of useful items for after surgery.
    If you haven't found it yet, let us know, and we will help you to locate it.

Which levels are you having fused?

Take care

• Wonderboytwice,

To echo Jellyhall, a hearty Welcome to Spine-Health!!! Like the others, I've had 2 fusions (ACDF with partial corpectomy on both), and had 6 to 8 weeks before returning to work. :) Again, welcome!!!! *HUG*

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • To Jellyhall. Thanks for your message. Problem with my spine caused by the fact that I was a Naval Officer and exposed to ionising doses of radiation during UK Atomic Bomb Tests off Christmas Island, Pacific in late 1950s. Have had a PLIF in Dec 2008 which also included a rebuild of part of my spine. The Anterior Cervical Fusion operation is for top 3 possibly 4 discs which are badly herniated!Pain I have at present is awful.Joined Spine Health in August of 2009 and have a forum in Back Pain somewhere.

• so you have been a member of Spine Health longer than me! Lol!

I hope that your surgery will give you the relief from pain that you so badly need. Meanwhile take it easy. :-)