Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

2nd opinion 2 years after PLIF - Anyone heard of this?

kathyykkathyy Posts: 580
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:46 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi guys. I'm still here and still dealing with the painful results of my PLIF which was done Nov. 2008. I'm now just about at a 2 year mark. I was doing my stretches a few weeks ago and felt something "move" in my lower surgical area and than was in terrible pain. My pain doc has ordered a new MRI with contrast. It's being done next week and I see my pain doc shortly after.

But here's the weird thing. I called the nuerosurgeon that my pain doc recommended to see if I could go ahead and schedule a visit for a second opinion based on my old and new MRI (he is fairly well known and I imagined I'd have to wait for a few months to see him.) His nurse said that he rarely will see a fused person like me until at least 3 years out from surgery. She did say that he will look at MRI's and will see me if he "thinks" he can do anything for me. If he does, then he will see me before the 3 year mark. Is that standard operating procedure on "failed back" second opinions? I guess it saves him alot of time "prescreening" patients, eh?

• SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    Unfortunately this is not unusual. The first step is to see what your surgeon says. If you have a new problem or a hardware issue then your surgeon may be able to help.

I did find a new Orthopedic Spine Surgeon when my prior OSS was basically ignoring my lubmar and cervical complaints. He did see me one year after my posterior cervical foraminotomy but wants to wait a bit on that and try epidural injections, etc. As for the lumbar, which my prior OSS ignored, I ended up with a fixable problem.

So you can find another NS or OSS but sometimes it may take a few tries to find one who is willing to see you.
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos