Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

How long does MS-Contin last for you?

happyHBmomhhappyHBmom Posts: 2,070
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:46 AM in Pain Medications
Seriously, it's only lasting 4 hours for me. Weird. I have plenty of breakthrough meds so I'm covered, but I'm wondering why this would be?

• They gave me MS Contin as a break through med. Effed if I know why.

I took it as prescribed.

Out of desperation, I modified the dose... Still no relief.

It went in the medicine cabinet with all the other Sxxx that doesnt work.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,875
    change a dosage of a prescribed medication.
    The doctors wrote a script with specific instructions on how to take it.
    If you think of changing that, you always need to discuss it with your doctor first and get their approval.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Your question is serious - it may speak to the fact that your ER dose is low. ER Morphine should be ramped up until you are taking only your IR meds on an irregular basis. The ER meds are suppose to keep the pain mountain cut off at the base. The IR meds are short term-- short acting, just long enough to get you through a peak, as pain/discomfort is usually not a steady state. It moves up and down as time flows by.

There are times my ER meds work for 11 hours, other times 6 or 7. It depends on activity level, rest, diet, and a host of things I have figured out work for me over the last decades.

Check with your Dr and tell him what is going on!
  • Yeah, I just saw him and we upped it, but we're ramping up very slowly because it makes me so sleepy while I'm adjusting. I just can't figure out why it wears off so quickly. It was one of those situations in which hearing what other people experience would have been helpful.

Right now I'm on 30mg 3x/day.

My other unfortunate personality defect is my tendency to ramp up my activity to match whatever my meds will allow, so my pain level never really goes down, my activity just goes up.