Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

nd2078nnd2078 Posts: 31
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:46 AM in New Member Introductions
Hey everybody!I'm new to the forum, but not to back problems. I've had 2 laminectomies since 2006. Now I'm probably on my way to spinal fusion :(

• Hi and welcome to our forum. :)))

Would love to know more about your current spine probs, so feel free to post again. We will give you support where we can.

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • nd2078,

A Hearty Welcome to Spine Health!!! As Trish said, please give us more info on what all is going on, and what levels. The members on here are great, and hopefully you will see that soon!

On the top of the web page is a 'search box', depending on what you have going on, you might be able to see other members who have, or are going through what you yourself is going through. :) Again, welcome aboard!!!

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • From the topics I've read so far this seems like a great group, so I'm glad I joined, and look forward to talking with others who know how bad any back problems are to contend with.

In 2006 I had a 7-8mm herniation at L5/S1,and was told I had DDD. I had a bilaeral laminectomy and it worked wonders. Just about everything was fixed. I had no health insurance, so I suffered through the pain until I could afford the surgery. The delay caused nerve damage.

All was well until June of last year when I ended up with a herniation at L4/L5. The MRI revealed the DDD was getting worse, and also that I had stenosis. I had a right sided laminectomy the following month. The surgery was fairly successful. Most of the pain was relieved, but not all.

Things went well until about 6 or 7 weeks ago when I started having really bad spasms. I waited a few days
    amd saw my family doctor where he started the standard medication and "conservative care". I tried PT but it did not help. He told me to go back to the neurologist that did my surgeries, and he is thinking it's time to fuse, and get the other side of L4/L5. I actually go tomorrow (errrh actually today)for a push/pull x-ray and a new mri.

My doctors have all said that it is time for me to find a new line of work since my job is so physically demanding. I can't even think about that right now. I fully expect the surgeon is going to want to fuse at least L5/S1. I will get a 2nd opinion, but I trust my doctor 100%.

Sorry for the length, I can't sleep and am rambling,
  • Welcome to Spine-Health. You can find a lot of articles and videos on this site that talks about and shows what happens with a lumbar fusion. And like you said, the members here are great, they're very friendly, knowledgeable and supportive.

I understand that facing a fusion is very daunting - I've been there twice. But when it has to be done, it has to be done and it comes down to quality of life. Although I still have pain in my back after my TLIF (transforimanal lumbar interbody fusion), I'm much better than I was before surgery. I can handle the pain I have now and can even golf most of the time. There are spike pain day, of course, where I won't do it, but I really have more good days than bad.

One thing you have going for you is your trust in your surgeon. Anyone here will tell you that if you have 100% confidence in your surgeon, that's almost half the battle. For that, I'm thankful for you. I also have complete trust in my surgeon and it's a great feeling.

Take care and please keep us posted on what your doc says today, ok? I wonder hwo long you'll have to wait for the result from your MRI...

• D-Day is in one week. I have my follow up on the 18th, I probably wont schedule anything until I get a 2nd opinion. All I'm thinking right now is thank God for LTD insurance (I learned mt lesson from the 2006 surgery).
  • hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can.. you are so wise to be getting that second opinion!! the more information you have the better!! please make yourself at home and stop by anytime! Jenny :)