Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Arthritis, Osetoarthritis

SHModeratorSHModerator Posts: 43
edited 07/25/2015 - 12:05 PM in Arthritis, Osteoarthritis

• RangerRRanger on da rangePosts: 805

From personal experience osteoarthritis is one bad degenerative disease of the joints. If I can be of any support to you or someone you know affected by OA please feel free to PM me.
  • Hey there,
    I am not going to whinge PROMISE!! Lol BUT my OA seems to be a secondary branch off from my chronic back pain. I was a dancer fo :? r 13 years in my younger days and allways suffered with OA in my knees but not badly!:-)
    However over the last 8 years I have been using capsicain cream for my hips. The last 6 months has seen it get a whole LOT worse and now it is in knees,hips,ankles,shoulders,elbows, wrists and both knucle joints of all fingers lol ! I find capsicain hard to use on my hands so......Does any1 know of a good cream for AO in hands please (apart from voltorol) Am going to GP on Thursday so would appreciate some tips :-) Thanx folx
  • This is really nice information you have provided here. Thanks for writing about the topic. This is really helpful for me.
  • HI,
    My mom is 97, and has been in assisted living for 8 years now...mentally just fine, but arthritis has become severe..She and half the people who live there use horse linament! If you can put it on a thorbred, they say it's good enough for them! But only use a very little bit! I spoke to my vet and my primary dr and both laughed, but said it couldn't hurt!
  • In osteoarthritis, cartilage wears away, thus allowing the exposed bone to grind and rub against each other. This causes pain and swelling, as well as loss of motion of the joint.
  • Hello,
    So glad I am back on this forum although in a different area. I am a 50 year old female. Had my first lumbar fusion 7 years ago. Just never felt like I got better, my orhro sent me to pt, shots etc. Starting having hip pain the hip doctor said it was back spine said it was hip. They send me to rheumy who sent me to neurologist who sent me back to spine surgery. Turns out first fusion only fused one level. Ended up having ALIF long recovery. Then hip pain started again.Took another year since hip arthogram only showed some problems with joint. Had hip replacement this year dr said my joint was really horrible cartidge coming off, labrum bad etc. Love my new hip! Still having joint pain so ended up with rheummy. No autoimmune disease but osteo. Rhuemmy wanted me off of viocidin (taking 3 a day)weaned off after 2 years.Started it yesterday I know it will take a little while to get used to the tramadol. Told me 1 to 2 every 6 hours Any input appreciated!
  • I am a 47 year old petite female, post-menopause (hysterectomy when I was 35). A recent bone density scan revealed a T score of -3.4 in lumbar spine, -2.5 in the hips. Dr called in a prescription for Fosamax (to take once a week for next two years) and he told me to begin taking it along with Caltrate + D immediately, perform weight bearing exercise (which I already do), and eat healthy (which I already do). The Dr. left me hanging until my appointment on the 20th. I also have advanced degenerative disc disease, bulging disc in the lumbar spine (with spurs), spinal stenosis, and osteoarthritis. I had an anterior discectomy at C5-C6 (titanium plate fusion) 6 years ago. I exercise to deal with pain and try very hard to avoid medicine with harmful side effects. Any thoughts on Fosamax? Alternatives? Are there any exercises I shouldn't be doing? This is all new to me; any input or comments would be greatly appreciated. I am still a bit shocked over the -3.4 T score. If I have posted in the wrong forum, please forgive me.