Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

new technology

julesgjjulesg Posts: 11
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:46 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I'm new to this site. I have not had surgery or any alternative treatment other than pain management. I have consulted with a neurosurgeon, will be going to my neurologist tomorrow to discuss some issues, maybe get some injections and I have an appointment with a highly recommended Dr. at a local spine and scoliosis center for a second opinion at the end of this month. I'm doing my research. The neurosurgeons plan is a 2 level acdf using allograft material and self absorbed plate/clips.(He states studies have shown that outcome of using allograft vs. autograft are about the same) I have difficulty with bruising and healing due to anticonvulsant meds (visiting neurology office to discuss this) so I worry about the success of the graft. Need info on synthetic bone void filler (i.e. Vitoss)which I have heard very little about it being used. Neurosurgeon didn't know what it was which I found odd. It pops up readily under general topics about spine surgery etc.. through various search engines. Also, artificial discs, I know there are or were some issues with them but limited knowledge base. I'm not leaning heavily toward this but still would like to know more. Detailed experiences welcomed. Thank-you.

• j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    And welcome to S.H. forums. So far I haven't heard a lot of good about the different artificial discs. And that's too bad, because if they could get the technology to make one that has shock absorption. My adjacent discs would quit degenerating under the added stress. They are working on things all of the time. And new technology is coming. It's just a matter of time. Unfortunately, not soon enough for me.
    Good luck, Jim
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • You have really endured a great deal. When I come here, all things considered..my current health conditions and my chronic lifelong challenges....I am humbled. I can not imagine enduring what some are going through here. I've nursed my neck for over a year now, with good time periods of remission, then it would act up back and forth until now. I knew I was in trouble when the neck pain did not respond to OTC or 800mg Ibuprofen regimen to reduce inflammation. The funny thing is I experience some numbness and tingling in my arms and hands, some mild sensations in my legs sometimes I wonder if it's just in my head..those sensations come and go and move around but isn't a severe or constant problem right now. What concerns me is even before the severe neck pain presented, I've been very clumsy ,I have real problems with balance and gait, and I've noticed it's hard to swallow meds or dry foods like chips. I have a fairly good size herniation with mild to slightly moderate spinal compression. I sometimes find it hard to believe that jut this little bit of compression can cause all that. It's only been in the past 4 months or less that I've noticed the side effects and I blamed my meds. I'm a little type "A" too. On the go as much as I physically can be and enjoy physical activity and love the arts so to limited has been very frustrating. Although I remain hopeful and positive about a good outcome it would be to my disadvantage if I didn't consider the what if's. So, I look at what I enjoy and have realized that I may not be able to do it on the same scale but maybe I can find a fulfilling way to do something close or perhaps I'll discover something new. I guess my greatest concern really isn't about me. I can adapt. It's more about the wonderful little 5yr. old daughter and a devoted husband that I may not be able to participate with on certain activities and I don't want to be the reason they don't do certain things. I have thought of ways around this too. I won't let my conditions compromise the life they are able to enjoy and I have thought of many ways to compensate where I may not physically be able to participate. I'm still looking on the bright side but prepared for other situations. To some degree we all have to adjust as we age so I'm mentally pretty prepared for surgery. Perspective can play a pivotal role in outcome so I'd add this to the list of pre-op preparations.I've been out of my workout regimen for sometime. My mom had brain cancer (lymphoma) mid winter and certain things just had to take a backseat She's recovered (absolutely remarkable recovery) I want to start exercising again..just riding my exercise bike a little. Doing what ever I can to prepare my body physically for the surgery. It's just my neck stays so stiff all the time. Any activity, the lightest work possible causes stiffness and spasms and it feels like my neck just gets so tired holding up my head. Amrix doesn't touch it, flexeril helps more but it's starting to kind of not work and I don't take either one regularly. I usually have to add about 1/2-1 pill of vicodine several nights a week to sleep and to top it off these reduce my seizure threshold so I usually have small breakthroughs the next day. Getting the energy and motivation to get going has been difficult. I'm dealing with some mild-moderate depression revolving around all this but I think it's lifting as I become more mentally prepared. It's been hard on my husband. He already had a wife with health challenges and here lately the list has gotten longer. I do hope I can find out if there is a good outcome with the synthetic bone fillers. It sounds really promising. Thank you for the response and I truly hope you find joy and peace for even on the worst of days there is always something to be thankful for. You just added one to my list... P.S. I lived in LA for 5 years and worked at Kaiser as a radiation therapist. I wasn't so fond of city life but it's a gorgeous state and the weather...unbeatable. I have another quote of acceptance "It is what it is" Excuse typos..meds are kicking in. Night and thanks again. (|: