Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Postoperative incidents/experiences after AxiaLIF- Mine not good

Leamomof3LLeamomof3 Posts: 22
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:46 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi everyone. I'm pretty new to the board and I just found this area for surgery questions. So forgive me if I've repeated myself from another posting.

Since this surgery is so new, there is not a lot of research and postoperative information available. I've been trying to journal anything I find about postoperative incidents/complaints. Not to cause problems, but to be able to take it to my PM Dr. & my general Dr. to let them know I am not alone. The neurosurgeon who did this to me, I've never went back to since my 2 week follow up after surgery.

I am looking for others who have had this surgery and their experiences. I had mine done in Oct. 09, I'm 10 months postop, and not in good shape at all. And from what I understand, I've not fused. I now have pain in my lower lumbar, right leg, right hip, right glute that is constant every minute of every single day. At times, it will also go down into my right foot. I do get some pains on my left side, but it's definitely very significant more so on my right.

I am a 41 yr old Mom of 3 who was extremely physically active before all of this. I'm down to doing nothing other than a brief walk, which I am thankful in that sense. At least I'm able to walk where as others aren't. Believe me, I know there are others worse off than me. But this is not what I signed up for. This was suppose to be this new miraculous surgery according to my surgeon. I'd be back to work in 2 weeks tops.

Now I live day to day and dread the pain as soon as I open my eyes. I still do my exercises I learned in PT. I take Tramadol and this isn't even close to helping. When I tell them I need something different and stronger they look at me like I'm asking for a kidney. I have a Tens Unit, I ice, I also heat sometimes but it's usually ice.

I returned to work 10 weeks postop against the advice of my PT. I HAD to. Financially I couldn't even pay my house pmt., let alone my bills. I have missed a lot of time at work because of all this. I was told a few months ago they may have to take the hardware out? Um, that's not even an option for me, I'll lose my job. I was told I could get on disability, but I must work. I have a desk job and I love what I do. It's better for me to be here than it is for me to be at home thinking about all the pain I'm in.

So here I am wondering if there are others like me. Am I the only one suffering after this miraculous AxiaLIF surgery that is so highly spoken of? Am I the only one who can't get the pain meds she needs to have some releif from pain?

Thanks everyone for taking the time to read this novel.. lol

• Hi, I didn't have a fusion but many here have. They've had PLIF, TLIF, ALIF (which I think is what you had) and 360 (so both front and back) and the experience does vary.

I have to say, I am trying like the dickens to avoid a lumbar fusion. Not because they aren't successful bu because lumbar fusions are very serious surgeries and I know the success rate really is individual.

I hope folks here can give you some insights on how the progressed when things didn't go as they had hoped. I just dropped in to say I hope things get better.

I've had 2 microdiscectomies on L5/S1 and have very little disc left. I am marginally better than before my 2 surgeries. But marginally. I still have no feeling in most of the back of my left butt to toe and am hurting if I sit more than 40 mins.

My only suggestion is that you DO have rights as an employee. If you are in a desk job and you have medical proof, they should conduct an ergonomic assessment for you.

I have a 'desk' job too.
    I now have an ergonomic chair but even that is not perfect. So I have a lap top so I can switch between a sitting and standing work staion. That helps but even that causes pain b/c I'm standing basically on a concrete slab. So I take a few min walk every hour around the building.

I am only offering tips based on me.
    I'm so sorry you aren't doing better but I think coming on here and sharing, you'll see you'll get some suggestions or at least see how others are handling similar situations.

Gentle hugs!
  • Shoot Z06 a PM. He had the procedure done on him earlier this year. You can also read his AxiaLIF L5-S1 thread in the surgery forum outlining his trials and tribulations.

• Have you been able to find any relief? I am in a similar situation. I sent you a PM