Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Still alot of pain after laminectomy

sullivan3ssullivan3 Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:46 AM in Recovering from Surgery
I had L4 & 5 laminectomy surgery on 7/12 to release the nerves. I am still having alot of pain in my legs and the outside of my calf. When I walk part of my toes go numb. I am on muscle relaxers several times a day along with lyrica but nothing seems to be helping. I have also been through 2 steriod packs. I'm at the point where I wonder if I'm worrying my doctor to death complaining. My follow up isn't until 8/18. It's actually hurts worse now then before the surgery. I still can't stand up straight or walk right much less go anywhere without pain meds.

Has or is anyone out there experiencing the same problems? Am I expecting too much?

• Hello and welcome to Spine-Health :)))

It can take several months to heal from this surgery, so best to wait until you see your surgeon on the 18th and he may be able to do more to help you.

In 08 I had a laminectomy/discectomy/lateral decompression which didn't work for me and my pain increased. This was because this surgery didn't correct the major cause of my pain.

Are you resting as much as you can? Did your surgeon tell you about the bending-lifting-twisting restrictions? Are you using a grabber to pick things up with? I would encourage you to take things very gently for now.

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • you could be in pain for months and months and if this is the case see your doctor and get some stronger pain killers .i have had a laminectomy and it took well over a year but even then i was still in pain .good luck