Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

new here

TommyDTTommyD Posts: 2
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:46 AM in New Member Introductions
Hi all I am Tommy im new to the site and was wondering if anyone could help me with a question. I am about to have a surgical consult for either fusion of vertebra or disc replacement in lumbar spine, and was wondering from others experience which is the best way to go and how long of a recovery time i should expect for these surgeries? I really appreciate any help or answers i can get.

• Welcome to Spine-Health. You can find a lot of articles and videos on both of the options you've mentioned on this site to give you an idea of what each is about. You'll also find a lot of support and friendship on the forums, but it's impossible for any of us to say what procedure is right for you. Only your surgeon can tell you that.

I can tell you that any spine surgery comes with a fairly long recovery, but it really varies from person to person. My TLIF recovery has gone pretty much "by the book" in that the pre-op symptoms are gone and I'm back to playing golf, but I have some days where I experience more pain than others. These flairs usually come when I carry something heavy (like laundry or the groceries into the house) or stand more than 45 minutes or so.

Below, I've copied some links that might help you (they came from our FAQ section, and you might want to check out that section for or information).

Please tell us more about what happening to you, how long have you been fighting with spine problems, what level(s) do they want to work on, and what symptoms have you been experiencing?

It's nice to have you join our group and please keep us posted on what your doc says, ok?

• Just wanted to say welcome and you'll find lots of good information here. You may even find you have more options to inquire about to learn more on your situation.

What level are you hurt at?
    I think the links from Cath are great way to start learning. There are several approaches to fusion (front....ALIF, back...PLIF, back/side TLIF, then there are others like XLIF). I will try to search on the ADR (Articial Disc Replacement threads).

Depending on what country you are in, some options are more 'widely' accepted than others and it depends on your situation (age, diagnosis, symptoms, etc).

I've had 2 microdiscectomies for a herniated disc at L5-S1...mainly because they were options to me over a fusion (which was also an option).

Let us know what questions you have. We aren't medical professionals but we certainly have a wide range of experiences to share.
  • hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. you have already been given some good info about your upcoming procedure! i want to wish you the best of luck and all the best for a complete recovery.. this could be your opportunity to become pain free!! please be sure and get more than one opinion when it comes to surgery.. you want to be as prepared as possible.. stop by anytime! Jenny :)