Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

My ruptured Disc has gone away!? Need your opinions and help.

AmyLeeParkerAAmyLeeParker Posts: 2
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:46 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
2 years ago, An MRI was done of my C6-C7 and I was told that I had a mild rupture. On the 4th of July I made a sudden move with my neck and my neck popped. I lost feeling in my right arm. The feeling slowly came back as the day went. But I have major weakness in my right hand, with numbness and pain in my fingers. My neck has stiffness and tinderness at the base of my neck. Last week another MRI was done.

I can not handle a closed MRI, so I am put to sleep to have one done. I used a different hospital than I normally do. Usually my arms are put over my head, but for this time, they did not do this, and I woke up with the machine rubbing up against my shoulders burning me. I yelled for the tech to get me out that I was burning. She told me, that they weren't able to get a clear picture, and the doctor would not allow them to give me any more to keep me knocked out. I called the doctor's office and told them what happened but they didn't seemed concerned.

Today the doctor called me and told me that I no longer had a ruptured disc at that level. That my Cervical looked fine. I asked what about the MRI from 2 years ago. He said yes, he could see from my records that I had a rupture there and the MRI from 2008 showed a mild rupture, but he no longer saw it in this new MRI. I asked if they could fix themself. He said he had heard of one case and it was rare. He said it could be a muscle or ligament(sp) problem in my neck. An wants me to do shots and PT.

I have already had 3 surgeries on my L5-S1 with fusion.

Do they fix themself? Did I get a bad MRI? I am set to get a 2nd opinion on the 25th. But I am so confused.

• AmyLee a Hearty Welcome to Spine Health! You'll soon see it can be a whole new family you've joined!

I can only of course relay my experience with what you've described. My C6/7 blew a little over a year ago - major pain, burning, numbness, loss of strength etc. I had a recumbent (lay down) MRI, and NOTHING was there! I was totally blown away! My surgeon agreed that my symptoms told differently, and let me go get a "Positional" MRI (you stand or sit - not enclosed). Bingo, there that sucker was bigger than stink!

The positional allows for an MRI with you in the position that generates pain (so your doctor can see it better), and too your area (cervical in this case) is under 'normal' load. If your insurance and doctor are good for one, ask if that is a possibility? Some doctors don't like them because the image facilities don't have the newest, and therefore the quality isn't as good as the "tube". In south Florida, you can't see any real difference. Just a thought there, my body 'knew' better, and thankfully 2 things came together...nearby facility, and a doctor who agreed. :)

If it's still not there, I guess you and your doctor will have to brainstorm on the next step or options. If it did shrink (that would be great news), then your nerves will take a while to regroup from the abuse they took from the disk over time. Please keep us posted on what all you find out, and again Welcome aboard!!! :)

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • I will call my insurance in the morning to ask about the different MRI. I am going to go with the 2nd opinion doctor and request that he does one. As my current doctor wouldn't even talk to me about the possiblity of this MRI being wrong. They had already passed me off to a pain doctor with my L5 and told me their was nothing else they could do with me. I felt with the quick nope the MRI isn't wrong you need shots and PT, they were giving me the quick pass off on this also.

Thanks for the information.
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    In California I got a "stand-up" mri with flex and extension.And also with dye. I think it is the same thing. The company that makes the machine is Fonar. And it showed what a regular mri laying down, did not show. Because your positional and the spine is under natural compression.
    Good luck, Jim
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • Jim,

Yep, yep, yep, same one here! :) If I didn't see it thanks to my C6/7 I wouldn't have believed the difference! At my location, they do the 'straight' sitting baseline, then inject the contrast, do a quick scan again, then I flex my head forward onto a foamy bar, another scan, then extend back resting against a foamy pad, final scans! I also like the software that comes with the CD sooooo much better!

Gaawwwd I love technology!! :)

• I don't know if this will help? At least down here, the price of the "Positional" Stand up MRI is the same as the 'regular' recumbent MRI. Before my first one, my prescribing doctor 'warned' me that the insurance may say "no" due to price differences. That is when we got the surprise - no difference, and to some locations, cheaper! Please let us know how it goes. :)

• I had a rupture heal itself and was told it's uncommon (I was not told it was "quite rare"). I lost some weight and did quite a bit of PT, which does take some of the load off of the spine. Mine was at L5/S1. It was a pretty significant rupture (extrusion) too.

Of course now it is back, because I am old and my back is broken, but it is small and not nearly as symptomatic.

So, yes, it can happen :)