Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

How long off work?

nmacnnmac Posts: 112
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:46 AM in Spinal Cord Stimulation
How long did it take for you to go back to work after the SCS implant surgery? If you are recovering from the SCS surgery how long has your doc said you will be out of work? My job is mobile and I lift about 25 lbs .2-4x/ day in and out of my car and wheel a suitcase. I also walk abit, do some computer work and work with children. I am just trying to plan ahead so I can give my employer plenty of time to find a temporary ( I hope). Thanks to all who post it is difficult to explain this to people who don't understand chronic pain.
Severe DDD. Klippel Feil Deformity. Cervical Foraminatomy that turned into Lamy. I have tried so many treatments, therapy's and medications.

• I took 2 weeks off from work after my implant surgery. I have 2 percutaneous leads which aids in a faster recovery. I work at a desk all day, so I'm probably not the best measuring stick. Your going to be sore for some time. Some people are ready to run marathons right after their implant and others struggle with the recovery. My suggestion would be to plan for the worst and hope for the best.

• I waited 3 weeks, because I had to fly from DC back to Japan. I wanted the worst of the IPG pocket "burning" to subside so I could manage the long plane ride. Then I went to work 2 days later.

The 25lbs being lifted may be an issue for you for at least 6 weeks. I was given a 10lb weight limit for 8 weeks.

Getting in and out of the car was one of the most uncomfortable times for me for the first 3 or 4 weeks, since it would irritate my IPG pocket.

If you are using a wheeled bag like a carry on, you may run into an issue due to the no bending, lifting more than 10 lbs and no twisting restriction that is set for 6 to 8 weeks. Just make certain that you follow your docs orders when it comes to what you can and cannot do or should or should not do.