Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

How much assistance.

nmacnnmac Posts: 112
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:46 AM in Spinal Cord Stimulation
How much assistance did you need during your SCS trial? Could you take care of your personal needs? Like putting on socks and shoes, brush hair etc. Could you do any household chores like filling the dishwasher, cooking and laundry? I am trying to figure out if I should have my daughters come and help me during this. My hubby will be in and out but it is difficult to count on him being available all the time.
I have pain all of the time but I don't let it stop me too much. I try to get done my chore by 3 pm as the evenings are the most painful time for me.
How did you sleep? I am concerned that I might pull out the wires tossing and turning in bed. I guess I am having a little anxiety about this? I am also looking forward to giving this a try at the same time. Hope you all are having a good day.
Severe DDD. Klippel Feil Deformity. Cervical Foraminatomy that turned into Lamy. I have tried so many treatments, therapy's and medications.

• Wow, that trial must be right around the corner. You got the SCS Trial Jitters. You should be able to do everything you currently can, hopefully more. You'll probably be sore for the first day or so but that should pass. Sleeping was interesting for me. I tried to sleep with it turned on the first night and I ended up sleeping on the remote. I was sore the next day. I wouldn't worry about pulling any of the wires out, you'll be taped up pretty good.

Good luck with your trial.

• I am going to a weekend campout with my family and the SCS trial is Tuesday. I am trying to be brave and not concern my family to much. My hubby will tell me not to go through with this if I whine to much. I don't think he is very excited about me trying this but he is going along with me. Thanks for your encouragement. I am sure to be looking for a friendly ear during the trial. Enjoy the weekend! I am excited to get all 3 adult daughters together for family fun.
    Severe DDD. Klippel Feil Deformity. Cervical Foraminatomy that turned into Lamy. I have tried so many treatments, therapy's and medications.
  • I was able to manage quite well during the trial without help. The biggest issue was to remain aware of having the wires running to the external unit. I had heard stories of the unit ending up in the toilet and wires getting caught on cabinet handles so I was very conscientious about it.

Like Dave said, you'll be taped up real good and things will be nice and secure.

I was able to sleep with the unit on, but turned way down. The connector block that gets taped to your back, will make it impossible to sleep on your back. No big deal for me since I sleep on my side.

Enjoy your weekend and don't fret too much about Tuesday. In no time you will be back here giving feedback to others, like the rest of us.

• I just had my trial done yesterday. I am very thankful that my husband is here today. Right now I pretty much need help with everything. I am having a problem with muscle spasms and its hard to walk. I slept with my ipg on last night and did fine I just turned it down. My rep gave me a cord extension which was nice it helped keep from getting all tangled up. I'm so conscious when I am turning over it has not been a problem with pulling on the leads. The pain right now wakes me up when I need to turn. My rep said to give it three days and I should be feeling better...we'll see.
  • Nancy, take a big deep breath, in fact take lots of deep breaths. Your husband sounds like my wife.
    Not to answer your questions. I slept in the spare bed room when I had mine in as I felt I would be pretty restless. And I was. The cords ware a concern.I hooked them on lots of things. Trust me the cords will be taped yo you REAL GOOD. You will understand when they start peeling the tape off to take it out. I desperately wanted the name and phone # of the sales rep. that dpld my Dr. the tape. I think it is the same they use in NASCAR races.

As far as help. I'd suggest that you have your domestics done up as best as you vcan before the trial. They will explain that they do not want you to be very physically active so as not to dislodge the lead and have it slip out place.

Personal hygene of not being able to shower was my biggy and I am a man. I guess to simplify my explanation here. I'd say plan your trial period as if you were doing rough primitive camping. It will not be that bad really. Just prepare accordingly. As far as having help around. Your rep. should be avle to help with that answer pending where they are going to run the wires. Secondly your threshold of pain will need to be considered.

I guess all in all if you've made it this far you are almost home... WE hope. I fully understand your situation with your husbamd. It is virtually impossible to explain to our significant others what this journey we are on is all about.

Good luck, you will conquer this battle as well
  • My mom flew out from Florida for my trial (I'm in Texas) and thank goodness she did. Within a few hours of getting out of the surgery center, I was so stiff and sore that I could barely get out of my truck. I couldn't lay down without help for 3 days - when I got to the point where I could it was really memorable because it had been so rough.

We spent that week in a hotel room (I had the trial 3 hours from home), and I stayed in bed unless we were going to eat. Walking to the truck, in to whatever restaurant we went to, then back out to the truck and back to the room, and walking to the bathroom at various times during the day, was about as much as I could handle. There's no way I could have done dishes, or laundry - I couldn't even fix my own bowl of cereal.

I don't want to scare you, because it isn't like this for everyone, but it can be.

Oh, and I slept like the dead. No problems with that! I slept on my back for the entire week, because it was the most comfortable. The box was taped to my side, so that helped some - I only had the wires on my back.

Good luck!