Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Can you see a rainbow?

Cath111CCath111 Posts: 3,702
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:46 AM in Matters of the Heart
I have been at home for over a year, had lumbar surgery in January and am now looking for a job.

One thing that I've been very consistent with before my surgery and soon after is walking my little Wally every morning between 7:30 and 8am - rain, snow, blizzard, heat or sunshine. It doesn't matter what the weather, he wants to go to the park down the street.

During my daily walks, I've met many other morning dog walkers and along the way I've met someone very special. She is an older woman, in her late 60s or early 70s I'd say, her name is Jeanie and she has a dog named Katie. Katie is about four times the size of Wally and is a wonderful, sweet girl.

I don't remember how Jeanie and I began to become friends, but we've both come to realize that not only do we enjoy each others' company, Wally and Katie have become little doggie soulmates, love each other dearly and we both, Jeanie and I, look forward to the times when we are able to walk together with our babies.

In addition to walking together, Wally and Katie love to find the shade of a big tree in the park when it's a warm morning and romp and play, while on their leashes, in the coolness of the shade tree and lay beside each other to rest with their tongues hanging out and smiling. All the while, Jeanie and I just talk up a storm, no matter what the subject.

A month ago, we invited Jeanie and Katie to our house so the babies could romp together in my backyard that has lots of grass, without the cumbersome leashes, and it faces east so is cool in the mornings, and it was so much fun, talking with Jeannie and watching the lovers play.

Yesterday, Jeanie returned the favor and we went to her house for a play date. Her yard is much smaller than mine and has more rock, bushes and trees than grass, but it's a cozy little yard with lots of little paths and places for the babies to investigate. Wally and Katie played as usual and Jeanie told me it was the first time she'd seen Katie play in her own backyard. It was also the first time that Wally had ever seen a cat and we laughed so hard watching his reaction when he first discovered her. It was such a good time.

When we left, Jeanie thanked me not only for becoming her friend, but for the companionship. She's a widow of five years and although she has many friends, she has nobody that she shares both her and Katies lives with and our bond has become very special.

This has become a rainbow in my life and when I hurt, I take great comfort in knowing that Wally and I have made a difference in someone's life and that we enjoy our time together as much as they do. We look forward each day to going to the park and hoping to see Jeannie and Katie and spending more time with them.

I've found a wonderful rainbow in my life and wanted to share it with you. Have you found one in yours? At least just one shining thing that you wouldn't have found if it weren't for your situation?

Here, meet Wally:

• Cath, That's great, I love your story. Keep on truckin". mel v.
  • sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
    I have found a rainbow...all of the friends I have here at SH. If not for my spinal issues I would never have got to know you and a lot of others here. You and the others have come to mean a lot to me. I've found friends who understand and that is worth so much.
    Thanks for the story Cathie. It makes me think about all the things I have to be thankful for.
    Wally is adorable!
  • Cath you are making me cry right now. That is so fantastic that you found this rainbow.

When I started to respond to your post I was thinking that I hadn't found any good in this -- yet. But that's not true. When I stopped working in June it was with the expectation of spending the summer preparing for surgery. Instead I have spent the summer dealing with paperwork and an endless round of doctor visits.

But the benefit was being able to spend more time with my husband and kids. Instead of the usual stress of entertaining everyone through the summer while working I was able to relax a bit more and share some of the great moments.

So yes I have seen a rainbow. Hope there are more in the future.
  • What a great thing to read this morning! Thanks for sharing. What kind of dog is Wally? He's adorable.

I also have found a dear friend via our kids' pre-school (not my pain issues). Over the last 5 years we have slowly built a wonderful friendship and our girls are great friends. She's in the same spot as I am: been a stay at home mom many years and have all the questions and fears about going back to work (and doing what??) and feeling of being in limbo-land and needing to adjust again, now that the kids are getting older.

While my pain issues are not what brought us together, she is very understanding. She will offer to drive, knowing It hurts me. She knows that I don't always know how I will feel and may need to cancel plans. Today she's dropping off her beagle while they are on vacation next week. He'll have a blast romping around with my coonhound and beagle! Even our dogs like each other! I never expected to find a great friend at pre-school, but I am so glad I did.

Thanks for such a nice story and reminding us of those special in our lives.

• Thanks for your post Mel, and sharing your stories. Kris, I didn't mean to make you cry. But I'm grateful that this post made you take a look at what might be good in all this, that there IS something good.

Debbie, as always, you're a special friend to me. I don't need to say more - you know.

Lisa, I loved your story too. Isn't it wonderful to find a new friend that you share some special bond with?

Wally is a Pembroke Corgi. Because he comes from a regal heritage (you know the Queen has Corgis), we felt we needed to address that by fully naming him Wallace Montegue Harrison, but we just call him Wally. He looks like a Wally, doesn't he? He sure is a little pistol and is all face.

PS How could you not take him for a walk in a blizzard when he looks up at you like that? LOL
  • Sssssooooo Cute!!! No, I don't see how anyone can say no to that face, but I am a sucker for cute animal faces! (G)

Thanks so much for sharing your rainbow. Believe it or not, my issues are my rainbow! Before things started going south, I took life for granted, now I try to get the most out of it instead! The tail is no longer wagging the dog! *hug*

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,849
    know when a rainbow will turn up.

Always cherish it, for its the things we least expect are the ones that can mean so much and mean so much for a very long time.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • That's a nice story and Wally is so cute! All face and all ears. LOL he's adorable! Is he still a pup? I think pets are one of our Rainbows especially during the rough days when we need this little puppy or in my case my little ball of fur kitten as a distraction and to keep us moving. I was thinking of getting a puppy but don't think my kitty would allow it! LOL TC. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Cath I cry for almost anything these days. Especially right after taking meds. So don't feel bad.

I just thought of another rainbow but I'm not there yet. This whole experience has derailed my life. It is making me take a time out. Soon I am going to have to figure out which track I will be getting back on and where that will take me. For good or bad I am getting a chance to reevaluate my life and what I do with it.

So somewhere out there is another rainbow. Just not sure where it is and what will be at the end of that rainbow.

And btw he is a cutie.