Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pain Meds/Supplements/Coping with Pain for Bulging Disk/SI Dysfnctn

joshy96jjoshy96 Posts: 6
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:46 AM in Chronic Pain
Hi all,

I wanted to know if anyone has suggestions for effective pain supplements/hollistic stuff or non-addictive medication?

I have a herniated s1-l5 disk, and some SI dyfunction. Started a new job two weeks ago and Im always sitting, and in lots of pain. I try not to take too much of the one medication that REALLY helps - tramacet - because I don't want to get addicted. So I'm looking for other types of things to manage the pain. I tried Zyflamend and willow bark, but they only helps to a limited degree.

Any and all ideas welcome!!!

• My favorite non-drug pain relief is called guided imagery. It can be done at first by a therapist, but later when you're practiced you can do it at home with a tape. It's really very powerful.

There is even actually quite a bit of actual research showing it reduces pain and stress levels :)

For home I really like a woman named Belleruth Naparstek who writes tapes for dealing with pain, healing from injuries, sleeping, and many other things we all need. (can I recommend this? It's not a doctor, she just makes CDs that are sold online that provides relaxation therapy).

Anyway, it's wonderful and healing, and makes you feel warm and bubbly inside. The downside is finding an uninterrupted 45 minutes!
  • SInce we are swapping non-medicinal pain relief...I find that if I keep busy with gentle activities I forget about the pain. A good movie or TV show works. Usually things with other people are really good.

I guess anything that makes you think about something outside yourself.
  • Like the others, distraction is the partial key! I have most of my favorite songs on my iPod. I plug my buds in and listen, sometimes sing as well if no one is around! (G) I also play with my cats - feather toys, fetch etc. I have fun watching them play - so takes my mind of me and Mr. pain for a bit. :)

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • And I have just spend 2 hours playing a video game with my daughter. I have been sitting, which is my worst positiong, but the distraction is such that I can totally forget the pain. They said they found the same thing with kids with chronic pain.

(I'm playing World of Warcraft. I'm a Dwarf Rogue. I do not have a bad back, in fact I'm kicking some butt here. Think Avatar, in this game I am whole).
  • I've had spinal injections and they've helped relieve some of my pain and I have issues in my lumbar area as well as SI joints and hip. The second Pain Management Dr. I saw gave me a list of anti-inflammatory foods that could help the inflammation. You could probably Google the foods as I can't find the list right now but one of the foods is pumpkin or Jamaican pumpkin and another was orange juice or oranges. I know in the States they use Lidoderm patches that help some people there unfortunately they don't sell them where I live. I hope the pain eases up for you. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • of the caliber you run into with bulging discs is not easily handled holistically. I spent nearly 18 months on massive doses of oxycodone and did not get addicted to it. When you need it, you take it. In the meanwhile, check out the BackJoy for extended periods of sitting. It has saved me a great deal of pain and even made it possible for me to drive for over two hours at a stretch.

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • I have to agree with above. Pain meds are not normally addictive, unless you are already addicted and this is just a replacement for what you use now. Meds used acording to your Dr and following his/her schdule should allow you to keep an increasing measure of activity. I know for myself - that I must keep active physically because it helps with the joint pain and the stiffness. Hot showers -first thing in the morning, allow me to feel better, before I add my meds for the day.

With the advent of real pain - such as Stenosis or disk bulge, and this kind of thing, you first need absolute pain control. Meds are the only way to do this and there are a host of meds that can be tried to find one that does not fuzz your brain, but does drop the pain. It may take looking, trying some in order to get a working combination.

Work with you Dr, be honest with them and let them sort out what to try first.
  • Remember to read some articles on the difference between addiction and normal dependence.

Addiction is when you start making poor choices in your life to get the medication, when you are no longer using it for pain.

Of course, we are all going to have to taper off of the meds, just like many meds that have discontinuation effects. They also have tolerance, so we have to use larger doses as time goes on. But that is not addiction, that's just a characteristic of the medication.

That said, the meds have side effects. I choose to use them, I understand if you don't :) I also use non med methods, because the meds just don't get rid of all of the pain.

• thanks for all the comments- some raelly useful stuff that i have no doubt will help!!
  • Since you mentioned working, I'll tell you what has been helping me- lidoderm patches.
    While most of the time I still need to take the vicoprophen and sometimes the skelaxin once I get to work, I find that the patches do seem to help with some of the pain after driving approx. 45-1hr each morning and evening.

If you have access to a freezer, having gel/soft ice packs on hand can help as well. While the walk to the freezer is a bit too much for me, I bring a mini cooler (in a cart with wheels) and toss a few ice packs and gel packs inside... they are usually still cold at the end of the day. If heat is your thing, micro packs can be used in place of the ice... but, the micro, like the freezer, needs to be within range for this to work.

You should always run your concerns by your doctor. When I've found advice here that sounds promising, I always run it by my doc to see if it is something that he thinks we could try. Good luck!
  • now you can use supplement as karipain! it's reduce hernia and treat inflammation in joint.very ease -just rub in level bulging disk 3 time a day.i am used about 1 month yet-and now intensive pain now!
This discussion has been closed.