Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hello , a newbie here from the uk !!

JaniebabyJJaniebaby Posts: 93
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:46 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Im booked in for a L1-S5 spinal fusion and decompression on the 21st september at my local hospital , to say that im nervous is an understatement , however im really hoping this will help me get back to work ,
I have a final meeting with my DR on the 10th to dicuss which approach he will be taking on my body !!
My main problem is a Spondylolytic defect at L5 with grade 2 spondylolisthesis of L on S1 , this was the diagnosis two years ago and has got worse ,
I have had physio , accupunture and 3 spinal injections which have all failed to work ,
Im also getting pains in my legs and cant sleep very well at night .

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832

Although we have already met in chat, I would like to welcome you to the forum
    You will find lots of information and support here

Good Luck with your surgery in September

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • It's very normal to be nervous about your surgery and I wish for a good outcome for you next month.

My fusion for spondylolisthesis last year is successful and I had immediate relief for the leg pain. My surgery was done from the front (anterior) and the surgeon put a large cage in to jack the vertebrae open. As far as I can tell from the scans, he didn't correct the slippage. I still have back ache and can't sit for long periods, but that's heaps better than that awful pain.

Keep as busy as you can now and do all the jobs around the house that you won't be able to do during recovery. Also, give yourself regular treats - helps to lift the spirit.

Have you had a look at the post-op must-haves at the top of the page? As well as a good surgeon, good preparation and keeping to the bending-lifting-twisting restrictions are essential for recovery.

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • can i ask where you are in the UK im in Bristol and have not long had disc replacement at c6/7 but also have lower back issues, my surgeon in bristol has been very good and my neck is 100% better!
  • After 4 1/2 years of living with the pain and working through alternative treatments, I too went under the knife for an L5/S1 fusion (PLIF) on June 11th of this year. 9 weeks out and I am feeling great. Back in physical therapy to start strengthening the muscles. Lots and lots of walking. The hardest part was the first 3 weeks, where I needed help to do even basic things.

In the end, for me, it was worth it.

Good luck!
  • i am from the uk too and i have sent you a private message