Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hi, my name is Daisy Mae

daisy maeddaisy mae Posts: 109
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:46 AM in New Member Introductions
I am new here and to be quite honest confused and a bit ticked at my drs. I'll try to make this short and sweet.
2008 had 2nd baby with epidural, the injection didn't go very well. Had the feeling he hit something and he was quite alarmed how my feet shot out and was worried if I could even move them. Ugh, so back 'pain' started then. Begged family dr to have tests/xray/ct done. Finally she sent me for an xray(after months of nonstop ty3s and ibupr). She said it was fine but since I complained she'd send me for the ct. That showed bulging discs at 4,5. Fast forward to 2009..3rd baby. All went well except 6 months after she was born I needed a MAJOR gynecological reconstruction surgery. Let me tell you, before the surgery my back pain was a 5 after atleast 10 and more. Noone would listen how could that surgery cause a problem in your back he kept saying.The surgery was a mistake, I am dealing with the irreversable complications every day. Anyways, got a new dr and she has done mri's and it now shows bulges at 2 3 4 5 and s1. Been on percocet forever and cyclobenzaprine. Done the physio and then out of nowhere my neck goes! seriously wth? Ct shows bulging at 5 6 6 7. I have seen numerous drs and they all say it isn't bad enough to do surgery and to live with the pain. This new guy wants me to try cymbalta. I am so afraid. I guess my question is what do I do? Why has this happened? I am a healthy 34 yr old woman ,have 3 great kids, supportive husband and I weigh 125. I work out daily (treadmill..I used to do weights but I cannot) It literally kills me to bend and sit and really play with the kids (2 are still only babies 1+2) and of course me being in pain makes me really cranky and short and I feel teh drs don't believe how much it kills. The one dr said they is probably nerve damage and that's why I should try the cymbalta. I go for the mri for my neck next month. Thanks for reading...

• Sorry to hear you're having neck and lower back issues also. I have both also but mainly lumbar is the worst for me at this time. I've found relief from leg and arm pain with Cymbalta used for nerve pain. I hope it works for you. Is your new Dr. a Pain Management Dr?

I hope your Physiotherapist can help with showing back postures and how to handle young children without straining yourself more. It must be difficult to have such young children for you to look after feeling like this. I hope some other younger Mothers here can help support you also. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • HI Daisy and welcome. I know you will find answers and support here. Like Charry asked what type of doctor are you seeing? If you search for "type of doctor" up top you will find definitions of the different types of doctors who can help along with what they may specialize in. It is really important to find a doctor who wants to work with you and has the training to diagnose your problems.

Many of us have problems in multiple parts of the spine. My theory is that when one part has problems we do bad things to compensate and cause problems in other parts. But since your symptoms are getting more complicated it would be a good idea to start a pain log. That way when you go to the doctors you can give them accurate info on what is hurting. Keep in mind that the doctors use the tests (mri, ct, etc) to compare to what you are feeling. It's important to tell them everything but to do it clearly.

Hope this helps.
  • Hi! Thanks for your responses. The dr who has prescribed the Cymbalta is a neurologist. The neurosurgeon I seen a few months ago was the one who told me to get off percocet or I would "lose my family, get fat and my husband would leave me". Nice huh? He also said in regards to my back that it appears to be much older then I am and looks like I have done a repetitive motion for years like and auto worker. He refused to believe I am a sahm, and prior to that I worked at a coffee shop for 10 years. He said 15 years down the road I would be a good candidate for surgery but suck it up till then!

For physio, she is doing traction and I really can't see it doing any improvement. To be quite honest *I* have to ask her what can I do at home to help this? It's almost like she either doesn't know or just wants me to stay in pain to keep making money. Sounds crazy I know but it is what it is. I know I should see a different physio but I cannot afford to pay the consult fee. We have been going back and forth (out of town..3 hours away) for the gyn problems and I have another surgery this Friday (20th) so that means no money for anything.

As for the help of other mothers, nope. We truly are a unique family. We literally have no one. My father is older and can watch my 11 yr old but that's it. No babies for him. I am doing all the lifting and bending, the doctors all tell me to not do any of it. We need to be practical though, I don't have a nanny or something and no help so you have to improvise. I moved my middle baby to a toddler bed early so I wouldn't have to lift her and it helps. I just feel terrible though. My stupid back and really it isn't SO much my back it's my left hip/butt cheek. It gets SO hard (almost like a hard ball or mass) my hubby will rub me at night and says he feels how tight it is. Then my arm/neck. It comes and goes. When it first happened he had to take almost 3 whole weeks off work! I couldn't use my neck or right arm at all, it went cold and I was in the er. Finally I got feeling back and the pain was do able. I just feel like wth is going to happen next? I have all these 'girl' issues to deal with..injections and surgeries and then I get a busted up back and no one wants to say "hey you're right BEFORE the surgery it appears to not have been debilitating, but after you are a mess now". UGH.
    Thanks guys
  • Daisy there is a member who has a tag line that goes something like "you get what you get, not what you deserve". Sometimes life is like that. No matter how hard you work or how good you are sometimes bad stuff happens. YOu seem to have a pretty good attitude which can only help you.

The surgeon may be right. When they evaluate for surgery they look at your damage, pain and age to determine if it is the right time to do surgery. Also take into consideration your responsibilities at home and your other health issues.

In the mean time you should talk to your neurologist. Maybe he can adjust your meds to give better relief. THere are lots of options. Also do you use heat or anything else for pain relief?

As far as PT it might be a good idea to take a break if your doctor agrees. Between your surgery this week and the financial issues it might be too much. Most insurances will stop approving PT if there is no improvement. They watch carefully because there are offices that are just looking to fill the appt book.

I'm in the same boat with family. My parents who are 78 and 79 came in last year when I had shoulder surgery. My kids are older but my son wasn't driving yet so they were able to take me to the hospital. But otherwise I am on my own. There might be one other solution to consider. Depending on where you live maybe you could take in a college student or young girl who would help with the kids instead of paying rent. I know around me there are lots of post-HS kids who need to move out but can't afford an apt.

My last thought is that you might want to take things one at a time. Get through your gyn surgeries first. You might find that this is causing some of your pain and might be making your spine worse.
  • hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. you have already been given some good advice daisy! you have a bit of a long road a head of you.. it must be very difficult with the small babies... i wish you all the best with getting some help in feeling better.. the sooner the better!! i have four legged children so i don't have much advice to offer you!! LOL!!please, take care of yourself as much as you can.. do as little lifting as possible!! Jenny :)
  • Thank you all!
    I was wondering, what side effects did you have when taking the cymbalta? I am very sensitive to those kinds of meds (a/d) I can take pain pills till the cows comw home and no problem.
    I surely don't want surgery but in the same breath IF there is something I can do why haven't they even suggested it? Or atleast tell me why has all this happened. Until I'm in the grave I refuse to believe that my horrendous gyn surgery caused the further damage and REAL pain. I believe they all, stick together. Meaning the drs.
    Thanks again!
    No one is ever in chat..why??
  • The only side effects I had was some sleepiness at first but after 2 weeks I have no side effects. But some people usually start with 30mg and I started with 60mg. Now I've taken up to 120mg a day and no side effects for me. It helps for my leg and foot pain. I've tried acupuncture with my PT and seemed to help a little but mainly have to walk most everyday a block with my cane to stretch out my leg. But I need to take pain meds extended release narcotic so I don't have any side effects from that.

Keep trying icing and alternate heat if that helps your back pain. Maybe you could ask your PT to give you exercises to do at home. I have pages of exercise like the same on this site that my Physiotherapist told me to do because I told her I can only afford so much physio. Try to not bend over except to crouch. I drink lots of water because after my herniated disc I have Degenerative disc disease so keep hydrated. I hope your pain Management Dr. would help you get some relief. I had trigger point injections for tight muscles and facet joint and nerve blocks in my hip and back as well as the epidurals.

Chat-Maybe with the summer months not many people are here as much as the cooler weather? I used to go when I first joined but not so much anymore but sometimes see some people on there.

I hope Cymbalta helps your pain. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN