Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Time Frame

TallaTTalla Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:46 AM in Recovering from Surgery
I am new to this forum and have a question. I had surgery on my L4 L5 where the doctor shaved part of my disc the was pinching my nerve. The surgery was 18 day's ago. I did feel extreme relief from it, but today I'm still feeling some pain down my leg still.

My question is. Is it normal to still feel the pain down my leg? And how long will it last?

• Talla,

Welcome to Spine Health!!! On the top of the web page is a search box. Many on here have gone down the same path and searching may help you with your questions.

Nerves hate being trapped, pinched, compressed etc. It can take a year or more to recover! Presently too you are very new out of surgery, so you have irritated nerves, tissue recovering etc. You will probably see soon from those with similar surgery, still having nerve issues 6 months to a year out! Patience is the key. :) Of course never be shy about calling your surgeon if you have any concerns - that's part of their job too! What's that phrase? "That's why they get paid the big bucks!"

Again, Welcome aboard!!!!

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Welcome to Spine-Health. :)))

Nerves take many months to heal and as Brenda said "patience is the key" !!

When is your next appointment with the surgeon?

In the meantime, rest and walk gently, read, watch movies and listen to relaxing music (or whatever music you like).

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • From my experience it took up to 6months for the pain to go away. It all depends on your body,how badly the nerve was compromised and for how long. Hang in there, remember your only 18 days out that's not very long. Keep us posted....