Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

ESI Success

BotzBotz Central FloridaPosts: 223
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:46 AM in Spinal Injections
Good Day Everyone!
I'm not a big poster...more of a lurker. I have gained much info from these forums over the last couple of years.
Thanks to all the posters who share their stories and thoughts!

I have to share that after years of pain I can say right now that I'm 100% Pain Free and off all meds! (Oxycodone, Baclafen, Lyrica, Cymbolta, Senacot)

Epidural Steroid Injections do work!!!!!

The last three + years have been a nightmare. My life has been: Struggling to work 9 hrs a day sitting at a computer, then 4-6 or so hours on the couch and whatever sleep I could get in the bed. Then start all over again. I have had multiple sets of injections, PT and a spinal cord stimulator that does not cover the intense nerve pain that runs from my back to my toes.

If you look at my history you will see that I have been thru some stuff between Lung and Back Surgery.

My PM was very frustrated with me and didn’t know what to do any more for my constant complaining. He sent me to a new Neurosurgeon. This guy is top notch and immediately informed me that my fusion was only half done, with screws and rods only on my right side. I have no idea why my old Neuro didn't do both sides. So new Neuro orders a L5-S1 ESI to see if there is any chance a redo of the fusion will reduce my pain. The morning after my ESI I awake to a very different feeling…..NO PAIN……OMG I don’t know how to act. I have been very low key as the last ESI that helped only lasted 2 weeks. So far it will be three weeks Wednesday and no sign of that never ending nerve pain. I have my follow up with my PM this afternoon to give him the news.

Just wanted to let everyone know to keep trying no matter how bad it seems.

Wishing everyone a pain free Minute, Day, Week, Month, Year or forever!

• Great news! I'm hoping one day to get an injection and be pain free also. #5 ESI for me coming up Sept. 2. So was the ESI a diagnostic to see if surgery would help or to see if it will ease the pain? Keep us posted what your Dr. says. So happy for you. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Art,

So happy to see you're happy! I've had several of these, and sadly, no help. People like you show me that they actually do work for some! I hope you continue to have "100% pain free"...wow that has to feel great!!! :)

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • BotzBotz Central FloridaPosts: 223
    Thanks Charry and Brenda,

It's amazing. I'm a different person overnight. I can function again.

Like I said I don't post often but I thought for anybody with doubts about injections actually working that I had to share this great outcome.

I have had numerous injections over the past few years with little success. When I told the neuro that I'm pain free he said that it was a great sign that revision surgery could indeed resolve my problem and to call him when I'm ready. Yesterday afternoon I saw my PM and told him the good news he was grinning as much as I was. He said if the pain returns he can hit the sweet spot again.

Depending how long this lasts will determine if I continue like this or have my fusion redone.

Have a Great DAY!
  • Art,

Could be they never found my "sweet spot" then.. but I don't see me rushing out to see if they can find it either! Rofla! It's funny, in 1989 I took a 'spinal' to have my knee operated on (I wanted to watch the surgery - twas cool!!!). At any rate, that shot did its job, but years later, why can't they get them to work? Sigh.. I am jealous Art, just so you know!!! *wink*

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • BotzBotz Central FloridaPosts: 223
    Sure don't want to make anyone jealous. I have been right there with you all for a long time. It took many tries to find my spot. I don't know why he was able to get it in there this time. In the past I was told they couldn't get passed the scar tissue.

One month today and not a twitch of pain!

******** ESI'S RULE! **********