Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Had surgery...now just frustrated.

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:46 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
so 16 weeks ago as of wednesday I had my Axialif 2L done....up untill about 8 weeks after surgery I would have considered it a complete success. Besides some screw pain, I thought I was doing pretty darn good....NOW.....

it seems like every 2 steps I take forward I am taking 1.9 back. Their are some weeks I do pretty well, and other weeks the pain is worse then before the surgery. The doc has taken Catscans and xrays to check the hardware and says everything is perfect, even says my back is healing at a accelerated rate , 3x normal... should be completely fused at 25-30 weeks. HE CLAIMS, my pain is comming from inflamation due to the incredible rate of fusion...I am not sure I believe this...Pain is pain in my book.

My biggest source of frustration is I was comming off my pain pills untill I got to a point I could no longer come off..as the pain was just to severe so I had to stop at a medium dose (compared to what I was pre surgery)... now my pain doctor is saying "at 16 weeks you should not have any pain, I want to start weening you off again"...so as of wednesday he is going to drop my dose again... I told him I am not ready, still in pain. Even with the pain meds I have a great deal of pain, it truly is just pain management, not pain relief. He is dead set I need to be off. What is the deal???? I see people with BS claims of pain, be on meds for years on end. hell one of my friends is a pill head, I know she is, even though she will never admitt it. I have never let my doctor put me on the patch or give me Oxy's, as I told him I didnt want to be a addict, you think he might believe me when I say I am still in pain and not just pill seeking...I dont know what his deal is.

I called my surgeon, and he said..."well its probably best if you keep the same pain doctor as its not good to hope around, just let him lower your dose"...REALLY? well I guess he isn't the one who has to deal with it...he isnt the one who hasnt slept with their wife a full night in the past 16 weeks and stuck in a recliner most of the day, so whats he give a crap right?...

sorry just beyond frustrated.

• Well, I hear ya about the pain stuff. I have more pain in my cervical, above the fusion, and am not willing to deal with it at the moment. I also still have lumbar pain when I do certain things (lifting something too heavy, standing for long periods, etc).

My surgeon wanted to cut down on my meds too, but his PA said not to worry. I told him that I'd see what I can do, but I still have some bad pain days (he wasn't surprised after seeing my latest MRI and CT scans). So I told him that if I got low on my pain meds, I'd have my pharmacy fax him for permission to refill and he could call me if he had a problem with that. He said that would be fine, but not to worry. So I got very lucky with my PA being so understanding.

The only thing I can suggest is that you do as your doc says, cut down, add some ibuprofen like advil to see if it works, and if it doesn't, call him back and tell him it's not working and that you'd like to go back to what was working. Maybe he'll work with you if you give his suggestion a try, but will up your meds when you make him realize that it's not working.

That's all I can think of, but wish you luck on controlling your pain. I think that there are very few of us spineys that will ever get off of some kind of pain medication because either it's just one thing after another or things just don't get fixed to the point of no pain. I love a good surgeon or PM that understands that and believes the patient when they say they're in pain and are willing to help.

Take care,
  • Doesn't matter if your doctor thinks its not there, it is.

Maybe go to your GP doctor and get away from your PM guys. To me most of the PM doctors just want to do proceduresa dn forget that they are PAIN MANAGEMENT doctors. If you are at the point that you will be looking for a new one just remind the old one that he/she is not doing/managing your pain. Sometimes a VERY frank discussion can yield results. As I remember your are into body building, weights and roids. If your back to bulking up again maybe its to early in your recovery. If I have you confused with someone else never mind.

I hope you can get some relief soon.
  • Wish I had a magic pill to make it all go away. If I did I would be on a beach somewhere - but that's just my fantasy.....

All I can suggest is to take it one day at a time and keep your doctors number on speed dial. You might want to start a very detailed pain log because the more specific you can be the better the chance he will listen to you.

Good luck.
  • It is a great idea and something you can show to the doc that documents when you were feeling what and what made it better.

I find it ironic that some of the doctors seem in such a rush to get patients off of medications. You would think they would want to use everything in their arsenal to benefit the patient.

Pain is such an individualized experience that no one should be saying "at X time, you should need Y meds."

• Mavrick-

I sent you a PM. Please check it when you get a chance.