Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

which depressent is right for me

newhouse17nnewhouse17 Posts: 133
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:46 AM in Pain Medications
I go to the doc on sept. 1st and am asking for something for my depression. Ive been yelling at everyone,crying and just feeling really down. I once was on Zoloft for 6 months after the death of my mother, but I know there are new medications on the market sense then. My question is what would be a medication to ask for to combate the depression and nerve pain? What side effects have you experienced and was it significant enough to stop taking it? Some of these meds have so many and it scares me to death. I hate starting new meds! Any info would be greatly appriciated.-kathy
advertisement

Comments

• What I found to work out the best, is to follow the recommendation of my doc. Our docs know us, know our history with other meds and surgeries. Plus they have experience with prescribing certain meds and they feel comfortable with how the majority of their patients feel once on these meds. When you ask them to go outside their "comfort zone" right off the bat, they aren't so sure of themselves and so they are very conservative in how they prescribe. So I allow the doc to select what he/she feels is the right med for me. If it doesn't work so well, then we try something else.

"C"
  • I trust my Dr to figure that out. No we don't get it right the first time! But I trust him to try what he knows works best for the majority of his patients, then we can go from there, based on how my body reacts to the stuff!

Point is, I treat the Dr like my partner in this. It had been adversarial for awhile, until he saw that I was consistent in my answers as to what worked, what did not, and did as much research as he did, to help myself out. I never told him what I wanted, just told him honestly what was up and let him sort out whether to act on it or not.

We have gone from Monthly visits, to bi-week to each week at times and then back to monthly, as HE saw things that concerned him and HE wanted to make sure that I was doing OK.

Now - its been almost a year of monthly visits, we have trust between us and it continues.
  • Kathy,
    Depression is part of the CP cycle and with your doctors recommendations trying some medication to help lift your mood should help in the longer term. Even with that knowledge that depression is an integral aspect is can sometimes be difficult to avoid it and only deal with it once it appears, for the most part perhaps I was unaware of its development I may have been the last person to understand what impact it was having that others knew were happening, while keeping out of range.

It is understandable that the yelling and crying develops and we try to survive this everyday pain levels, I had some counselling that help with unexpressed issues and made me feel I had more control of that filtering process. I had my angry phase and although it was understandable is was never acceptable and my responsibility to get the help and support I needed and find a more appropriate strategy.

I learned much about myself the specific signs and traits of behaviour that were some indication that things were not well, my MH strategy is now improved and that level of depression never returned, the medication help get me to a place to help myself more effectively. I work hard not to create an environment that allows those symptoms to develop, even though the pain continues.

Talking about those unknown issue did help, they are similar to notions that we all have and I am now more capable and proficient in dealing with them as they come along.

My doctor said, this would be an episode defined by duration and may never reoccur, his words proved to be correct, from this at times unavoidable event or happening.

Take care and good luck.

John