Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Trial is over Thrusday...worried about the lead removal!!!!!

RwillRRwill Posts: 300
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:46 AM in Spinal Cord Stimulation
My trial is going well but the procedure area is still giving me horrible problems. My mid back where they went in still hurts really bad. It seems like if I have any procedure done my pain level goes way up. I am honestly worried about when the leads are taken out. I'm sure it's probably quick but what will my pain be like??? My back is so tender I can't imagine anyone touching me let alone fool around with stuff. I know I'll tough it out but it might help to hear how others felt when they took the leads out....

• Hi Rwill, I had my trial in June it was in frm a Fri. to Wed. It did cover my pain and I knew that I would get the implant. Granted I never had any surgeries before. Just injections (numerous injections) even a few without being put out so I do not know how much pain you have endured even with the trial. I only had a discomfort when the trial was removed. I had the SCS implanted on July13th and I am still tender but since it covers my pain level well, the discomfort and tenderness I'll take any day. Just tough it out and you will be find. SLH
  • If the stimulator has worked during your trial, I promise, your biggest pain will be doing without it. The actual removal was nothing comnpared to the pain I had during the time they were inserting the trial leads and the first couple of days following that.
    Hopefully it will be an easy procedure for you and you've gotten enough from the trial to know if the stimulator will be helpful for you.
  • I was put under when the trial was placed - they woke me up to make sure it was in the right place, but I only have vague memories of that. I was really, really sore afterwards. I couldn't even put my seatbelt on when I got in my truck, and when we got to our hotel it was a good 15 minutes before I could get out because I couldn't turn at all.

I had no idea what to expect when I had the leads removed, but I was really, really nervous about it. Whenever I get stitches taken out I black out, so the idea of the leads... well. (I also black out when procedures are explained to me... unfortunately.)

The lead removal was honestly not bad though. They had me lean over the exam table, and with one pull they were out. It was an odd feeling, but it didn't hurt at all. If I had to choose between that and getting stitches out? It wouldn't even be a contest. And I started doing a *lot* better with the pain once the leads were out.

When I had my final placement surgery, I didn't have nearly as much trouble with soreness and pain in my back, either. I expected it to be at least as bad, what with running the wires up my back and everything, but nope. (Then again, the valium and dilaudid may have been part of the reason! lol)
  • I was fully awake for both. Removal was nothing. I didn't even know it.
  • I don't believe I have any stitches so it should come out fairly easy. My doc had my husband check under the bandages just to make sure it didn't look infected. I'm still experiencing a great amount of pain around the procedure area. Luckily it looked fine. My hubby thinks it may be from all the stuff in and around the placement area. I'm not a very big person so it's kind of like the princess and the pea effect I'm constently laying against all this "stuff". Just a theory but I think it's a good one. I know it will be a bittersweet thing. I will be sad to be without the stimulator but I'll be glad to have the tape and wires off and out. Wish me luck!!
  • Sending good vibes your way! =D>Did you get much relief? I am looking forward to Friday, my hopeful removal. Isn't this a great place to come for support! :H
    Severe DDD. Klippel Feil Deformity. Cervical Foraminatomy that turned into Lamy. I have tried so many treatments, therapy's and medications.
  • Wow that was easy!!! I had nothing to be worried out I didn't feel her take it out hardly at all. I miss the SCS soooo much. Guess it was really working. Next step is a T-spine MRI, I'm on my way!!!
  • Glad it went smoothly, I knew it would, but until you experience it, it is hard to know. Didn't the shower feel good? I was SO excited about getting in the shower and scrubbing my back. My husband had to work on my back to get the adhesive off because they must have used a dozen rolls of tape to hold that bad boy on there.
  • I had a nice retirement dinner for my husbands work to go to that night. It felt soooo good to take a shower, had my hubby loofa my back to help get the sticky tape residue off. Boy did they tape it good. My PA was apologizing for the taping hurting when it came off. I told her not to worry because it actually felt good to me. I was itching so bad by then it was painful.... The next day when I itched my back I was still getting bits of tape residue. Makes me appreciate being able to shower whenever I need/want to.