Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

tarheelgirlttarheelgirl Posts: 473
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:46 AM in Pain Medications
does anyone take ambien and it not work very well? is it due to the tolerance of narcotics? I have taken it for years, but it doesn't work anymore at the 10mg dose...I have to take more than one pill and then I am left with many other sleepless nights thruout the month. My doctor Rx my hubby 45 pills/month...I think I need to ask for that as well...but just wondering if any of you have this issue.

• I have been taking Ambien for a couple of years. Yes, I have found that it does not work as well now that I take narcotics. But, on the other hand, I no longer really want to be taking it- I have a lot of fear of the "drug cocktail" syndrome. I do not take more than one pill at a time, it just doesn't always work anymore.
  • I was prescribed zolpidem (the main brand over here is Stilnox rather than Ambien), but I found that unless I was already tired and got off to sleep very quickly it just made me want to get up and do things. It made me feel sort of drunk and uncomfortable and hyperactive. I expect this was just an uncommon paradoxical reaction on my part. My doctor changed my prescription to flunitrazepam (Rohypnol) and I sleep much better now, only taking it on an occasional basis, of course - most hypnotics lose their efficacy if taken regularly for too long.
  • I have been prescribed Ambien (10 mg) for more than six years. It was not to help me sleep through pain, but just to help me sleep, period. This summer my sister, who also has been taking it for a while, mentioned to me that she was going to try to stop taking it while she was off work for the summer. She felt that it was causing her some memory issues. I decided to try and wean myself off of it too at the same time. I was nervous after becoming dependent on it, but my pharmacist guided me on how to taper it off and I accelerated it and was off in one week. I cannot believe my success!
    My insomnia issues started after I turned 40, remarried, had job issues, etc, but I think they continued when menopause hit at 43 and my neck and back pain became so bad.
    I cannot tell you how excited I am that I was able to drop the Ambien completely. I do not drop off to sleep as easily, but I am getting good sleep. I take my muscle relaxer (Zanaflex 4 mg) at bedtime and I also take Melatonin (3 mg...I think)and I have to tell you that I feel much better during the day than I did. I also realized during my trial for my SCS that I rested so much better and that has continued since my permanent SCS was implanted in Nov. 2009. Most people would say that I still am not a good sleeper, but given what I experienced before, I am satisfied with the amount and quality of sleep I'm getting now.
    I don't think my doctor would have ever advocated me taking more than 10 mg/night,though. He did at one point change me to Lunesta and that didn't work at all and also left a horrible taste in my mouth all day the following day after taking it.
    Perhaps you have become immune to the Ambien. Rather than increasing your dosage, perhaps your doctor should try something different for you. They say Ambien is not addictive, but I do believe it is a bit addictive, at least "mentally" because I was so scared to try and do without it. But I've done pretty darned well. I hope you will find a solution soon.
  • I tried Ambian once. it did not work it does not help the pain therefore you will not be able to sleep. try valium, helps the pain spasims, and helps u sleep, tynlol pm for pain helps!!!