Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

re-herniated :(

hj_sparks85hhj_sparks85 Posts: 38
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:46 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi all,

Had a Microdiscectomy in Jan 2010 and had not felt any change.
Managed to get another MRI scan done last month but have to wait till Sept to see the surgeon. My GP managed to get the results and called me in yesterday - I have re-herniated (Or poss, the surgeon did not remove enough.
I had a letter saying that he removed mostly "capsules?)
I now have to wait to see the surgeon again and hope he will do something soon.
I lost my job in June due to time off sick so am now in limbo until this is sorted!
My doc prescribed Diclofenac which do not help, so has now given Oxycodone + Naloxone, which I know is a form of morphine. Not to happy about this but took one last night when the pain is worse, and it was great!

Does anyone know what the capsual stuff means and anyone had a 2nd opp?

• Howdy! So sorry to hear you got such news!!! I re-herniated at my C6/7 level, but on the plus side the "material" did not stay on the nerves, so I just hurt like crazy for a week or so.... I have back issues as well, but still holding off on surgery. If the back is anything like the neck, they might wait a bit to see if the material shrinks back in. Otherwise (and NOPE not a medical type here...just what I was told), they may have to go back in and redo it again ..revision.

Capsular issues, I am not familiar with, sorry. I hope you have answers soon. *HUG*

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Hi there,

I have no idea what the capsule terminology means.
    However, I herniated L5/S1 in August 2009 and had microdiscectomy. Like you, I can't say I ever felt a difference but seemed to be recovering from the surgery as expected the 1st 2 weeks....after than I really didn't see a change and was quite disheartened.

At 6 weeks post op, my surgeon put my on prednisone hoping that my 'lack of improvement' was due to inflammation from the surgery. After 9 days of that...no change. I had a follow up at the 10-week post op and at that point, The doctor agreed to send me for another MRI (with/without contrast).

Just like you - reherniated (or there was a piece left behind and possibly out of view).

I had a revision in Feb 2010 of this year. And, while I didn't see an immediate change...I've seen improvement. I can now push up on my toes which I couldn't do before.

I'm sorry you have to wait...I hope you can see him in early September.

I posted in the other thread that there are differing opinions on revision MicroDiscectomy vs. Fusion.

For me, I was the classic statistic of reherniate within the 1st 3 months (actually they think the first 2 weeks), on the same side, predominantly leg pain, and my back was otherwise in good structural shape. For me, trying the revision was worth it because I could always do the fusion if this doesn't work. I'm still hopeful that this revision buys me time indefinitely or at least for a few years for technology to advance.

When you meet with the doctor, I'd ask him about the complexity of lumbar herniations vs. cervical. The lumbar fusions are even tougher on the body than cervical b/c the lower spine carries most of the body's load.

good luck.

oh, and yes, I did wait for the 2nd surgery b/c they hoped the disc material would re-absorb (or dry out) just enough to come off the nerve.
  • Not sure in what manner "capsule" is being referenced in regards to your letter, however I do know that our facet joints have capsules (known as facet joint capsule). They are basically a collagen membrane that encloses the facet joint. I had trauma to my lower back in which L5 was fractured and several facet capsules were ruptured. From what I was told, a ruptured facet joint capsule is usually an indication of trauma even if it can't be easily seen on an MRI.

• I don't know what capsules refers to. I did re-herniate 20 days after my microdiscectomy. I had an open laminectomy 2 and a half months later. My back was then good for about a year and a half after my open laminectomy. I developed pain in the back and thigh, but I worked through it for 6 months and then it got real bad with extreme pain and numbness below the right knee and muscle twitching in the left leg. I am now scheduled for a fusion, but ironically have had a recent and sudden change in symptoms. My right leg and back were the source of my pain, but now my leg doesn't hurt that much below the knee. However my back is worse, to the point where I have nearly fallen several times. I don't know wether I am comming or going.