Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

hj_sparks85hhj_sparks85 Posts: 38
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:46 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi all,

Just a quick Q, i find it hard to understand all the lingo on the website!

Can a Fusion be done on a disc that has re-herniated or is this procedure just for other conditions?

I am waiting to see the surgeon but wanted to know before hand.
Has anyone had a fusion for this?

Many Thanks

• It can be done if the disc is no longer viable.

However, if the disc is still salvageable and because a fusion is so invasive, drastic, and permanent, a revision micro-d can be first attempted.

(a fusion involves total removal of the disc and its benefits and replacing it/them with something else)

There are alternatives to fusion.
    On the sunny and mild Central Coast of California

L4-L5 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy June, 2007
    L5-S1 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy May, 2008
  • Yeah, what Paul said.

I had a microD on L5/S1. I reherniated and had a revision. Some doctors will even try the surgery a 3rd time (though it's rare). If I reherniate again, I'll consider a fusion.

Different doctors have different opinions and it also depends on your specific diagnosis. For me, my spine is structurally sound, I just have Degenerative disc disease and my disc herniated (tore and some of the disc came out and compressed the nerve).

After 2 microD's on L5/S1, I have very little disc left so even if I herniate again, I may not get worse but if I do, the thought from my doctor is that the disc is just bad and probaly should just come out, in which case, they'll fuse.