Well, this is the saddest day ever...I am having to make a very very hard decision re: one of furry kids...they mean the world to me more than I can say. I'm sure you who have them and when you have challenges with this disease know the joy that they bring to your life.
My family is Me, Brittany, Gizmo and Chloe. And we were quite happy and there wasn't a joy day in our house! Let me introduce my furry kids a bit further, Brit is my Lhaso Apso (male), Gizmo is my ShihZhu (male) those two are good buddies since, and Chloe, is my Himalayan Persian. We have been a family for the past 8 years.
My precious Chloe (kit-kat) is having some challenges with Gizmo (my ShihZhu) both of them have been in a subtle territorial issue for months now...there has been a progressive marking of territory of Chloe cat sleeping in Gizmo's bed, then Gizmo urinating marking his bed to keep the cat out and him sleeping on the floor. (lots of laundry jobs) They found a spot in the family room challenging whose spot is after adjustments trying different things, Chloe cat is now not using litter box at all and getting more creative with marking and Gizmo (my ShihZhu) is not letting her get the best of it !!
I am going thru some pretty chronic episodes with heavier meds and with possible pending two complex c-spine and t-spine surgeries and know my life can't get any more complicated with the last two off-the-chart pain nerve spasm flare-ups for weeks. The extra burden of clean-ups, special clean-up products,carpet removed, laminate/vinyl replaced, modifications to rooms - - well you get the picture I have tried it all.
I had an appt. with my vet to see what I could do, and basically I have done all the behavior modification that I could have done and the option of crating the cat forever now with litter box is the only answer...but I was told about a woman who may be willing to take Chloe at a sanctuary and where she would be a loved resident and maybe even adopted out into a no-dog, no other cat home (if territorial issues stay strong for her!)
This is the only option I have with all that is happening to me in this phase of my severe phase of c-spine and losing my arm use of my hand, severe neuropathy....and it would mean saying goodbye much too soon to beautiful Chloe.
She is gorgeous the best cat ever, loves to be craddled and held and I am just broken hearted of having to make this a reality.
I grieve what is happening in my life deeply because of the level of chronic pain (ongoing) not just pre-surgery and post-surgery as I have known with 4 other surgeries (hip, knee, hands, first c-spine 3 level fusion). I never thought I would have to be in this position, to give one of my fur-babies and I am very close to my dogs, cat everyone I have had (didn't have children), my heart is aching and breaking.
I know I can't be alone in this pain - - so I had to share what is happening for me...and in the next week with this huge change and LOSS.
Please pray that the I will be strong enough to do what I need to do...and do for Chloe, I understand she will be in a great environment in a shelter home of a woman vetinarian and with no pressure on Chloe being adopted out...I'll learn more in the next week...this is so hard to envision as the best option now.