Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Trigger Point Massage

salunzossalunzo Posts: 7
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:46 AM in Alternative Treatments
I have suffered with lower back pain for years now. I would feel okay in the morning but anything to do with bending over had me crippling. I'm only 23 years old, so this seemed all too out of the ordinary for someone my age.

But I recently have discovered that I have "trigger points." Has anyone else heard of these? It's a simple procedure of massaging out, basically muscle knots. Easy and FREE therapy.

And can you believe I can now almost touch my toes? Granted, I still have some pain after bending over too much, say picking up all my dirty laundry... haha! And if I don't massage my back for a few days, my tolerance for bending over gets bad again. I've been using some techniques from a website I found.

I have seen some postings about trigger point injections... are these the same things except one is an injection and one is massage? Does that meaning of "trigger point" also mean muscle knot?

Let me know what any one thinks! Feel your back, or even your leg! On the website I'm following, it was a trigger point in the woman's knee that was the cause of her pain. If it hurts to press into you skin, it's a trigger point!

• I had someone accuse me of spamming in a reply to a post. Is mentioning a helpful website considered spam? I'm not selling anything. The website isn't mine...

I was just trying to be helpful and offer an alternative treatment that helped me. Is there something I don't know about forum etiquette?

Totally took the steam out of me wanting to participate...
  • Okay, I'm out.

Good luck people.
  • I've had trigger point injections but also have a trigger point back board I use also so it does help with the back pain.

Try not to bend over instead crouch to save your back okay? Take care. Charry

DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I posted a link to a great website before and the Moderator told me not to so try not to take it personal. Okay? I know I was a bit put off also at the time.
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I'm sorry you were offended by my possible *spam* comment. Please understand than when people right off the bat start in with websites etc... it looks questionable. If you do decide to keep looking you will see it first hand for yourself it happens all the time. If your the real deal then please don't let this stop you from looking and posting on Spine Health. There is a great deal of information and support. Again if I offended you I'm sorry....
  • When you post to a forum, the best place to start is reading the rules. And here, there is a rule against posting websites that sell any products.

I've been posting here for a long time and had links deleted as well. Links are OK as long as they do not sell any sort of a product, I believe.

But you can imagine how a group of people who have severe injuries, diseases, and disorders of the spine, many of whom will never get any better, feel about the constant stream of snake oil salesman that come in to spam their wares on this board.

Terribly sorry if you just came here thinking you could help, but maybe now you understand why the rule is there :)

• Hello guys, I wanted to share my experience of tennis ball. Trigger points are just knots in the muscles as far as I understand. Therefore, after doing some research, I found that some people lean on the tennis ball on the floor and roll on it back and forth. I personally have also started doing it and trust me it helps. This is really nice cost free method of being pain free and as much as you want for 0 cost. I do it twice, once in the morning and once before going to sleep. Good luck and keep searching the internet for hope.

• Yes I've used a tennis ball as Justin says on my upper back. There is a caution that goes with using it on your lumbar, start slowly and if you have pain discontinue usage.

• I have had both trigger point massotherapy and trigger point injections. I had a wonderful trigger point release massotherapist and would get an hour or two massage for $35 and she helped me so much! Then she moved to Las Vegas so no more affordable massage so now I just don't go.

I was getting trigger point injections every couple of months in the low back and hips and they helped a lot till the last time. Now I am getting an MRI with contrast next Wednesday to see what is causing the new pain that nothing helps with.

I also do self trigger point release every night before bed, but I use a lacrosse ball and a theracance. I have a wonderful book that you look up where the pain is then it shows all the trigger points that could be causing it and how to work them out. Helps immensely.

sue in ohio