Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Post surgery-New Pain

mjyfgslmmjyfgsl Posts: 57
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:46 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
On April 27-Laminotomy and L4-5 Discectomy ;27 PT treatments ,doing exercise daily at home ,feeling very good .I woke up in the middle of the night in severe pain ,unable to walk without pain.Two doses of extra strength tylenol ,still in pain .

Has anyone experienced this ?

• j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    In the road. The same has happened to me. Your not that far out of surgery. But you might want to call your Dr. and get his opinion.
    Good luck, Jim
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • Just a thought - have you added any new exercises to your PT program? Something similar happened to me after my fusion when the physio added the exercise ball. I only sat on it for a few minutes and I ended up in bed for a couple of days and had to go back on the Oxycontin until the pain came under control.

As Jim said, you could call your doctor and see what he thinks.

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • I finished PT .I had 27 sessions .I was advised to exercise at home ,however,I had skin cancer surgery 11 days ago and I had to stop exercising during the healing process .
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    Call your doctor if this lasts more than a day or so and take some anti inflammatories.

I had my prior back surgery in 1993 and then around 1997 when getting off a plane one Thursday after a business trip I had a sudden horrid pain (I can remember it vividly and even the flight attendant who had to help me get out of the seat area). Barely made it to my car at the parking lot. The parking lot bus driver got my luggage into my car and was so concerned since I was crying and could barely walk. Drove home (about 20 minutes), pulled into the driveway, and told my roommates to get my stuff out of my car and bring me advil. Still in pain the next day (Friday) I called in sick and went to see my primary care (I lived in NJ an didn't have a spine doc there since my 1993 surgery was in Chicago). My PCP examined me and even did an x-ray which was normal. His thought was it was unrelated and just a strain/pull in the muscle. He suggested 5 days worth of pain meds and muscle relaxants. If that didn't help or it got worse he'd send me to a spine doc. I was much better by Monday and even went to work. Came home and still needed a dose of the muscle relaxant and pain meds. By Tuesday it was a dull ache so I think I pulled something manipulating my luggage into the overhead compartment and after sitting over 3 hours in the plane some muscle seized up. The 5 days of meds and muscle relaxants worked. Didn't need to see a spine doc for lumbar problems again until 2009 (and even that is unrelated to the prior surgery).

Once you've had surgery you are never sure if an ache or pain is surgically related or just a back pain like others without prior history of back problems may get.
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • i went to the hospital because i thought ;something BAD had happened;..but it had not its just the spine having a nasty moment ,..providing you can pee and the other and you are not bleeding for any where .then i would ice it rest and if you are still worried then go see the doctor ..last week all of a sudden i could NOT walk without shuffling my feet i thought something had happened and was worried but taking my own advice i iced it and rested and after 3 days it was back to normal .but as usual if you are worried see a doctor ..
  • I can't take an anti-inflamatory due to other medical problems ,only extra strength tylenol