Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

PLIF S1-L4 7months ago...QUESTIONS

talia22ttalia22 Posts: 15
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:46 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I has my surgery 7mths ago and i just got my first xray to see if it was fusing. I havent had the dr read it yet but i was wondering for other people who have had this or similar surgery should i expect it to have started to fuse?

I have been seeing my regular dr regularly for medication etc but my surgeon doesnt care to see me. He has not been very informative. I dont know what i should and souldnt be doing- i have gone back to most everyday activites such as cleaning and cooking and taking care of my dogs. I guess I am just asking if anyone can talk to me about their simlar expierences,when they started to fuse and when they fully fused ( I have a cadaver bone- I requested my own but during the surgery the surgeon for whatever reason changed his mind)
Does anyone have any info advice etc??
Thank you

• Hi Julie,

Welcome to Spine-Health. :)

I'm having the same 2-level PLIF (using cadaver bone) that you had and my surgeon said to expect 5 months to fusion. That is probably an average figure and it may be that other surgeons give a different length of time, I don't know, but that's what I've been told.

2009 Foraminotomy C6-72010 PLIF L4-S1Multi RFA's, cervical inj, lumbar injLaminectomy L3-4 and fusion w/internal fixation T10-L4 July 17Fusion C2-C5 yet to be scheduled
  • I was told 3-6 months for fusion. We'll see since I'm well behind you on the journey. Mine was also cadaver bone.
  • I've read 6-18 months for a solid fusion. That is why many surgeons try to wait as long as they can before trying to revise that bone.

• SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    I had my L3-S1 fusion 2/2010 and my fusion has begun. Saw the surgeon a few weeks ago and he said all signs are that the fusion is progressing. I did have a bone growth stimulator I wore at the fusion site for 5 months. That probably helped.

If you find you still need pain meds at this point consider starting treatment with a Pain Management physician. Mine is fantastic and my surgeon was more than happy to have me begin my treatment with my PM doc once again when I was 3 weeks post-op
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • Hi Julie
    I too had the same 2 level fusion but with my own bone. Ive got my 6 month xray and appointment with consultant on monday.

I too felt very alone after the operation and didnt have any info about do's and dont's.
    All I was ever told was to try it and if it hurt then stop.
    I have been swimming a couple of times a week and get on with housework etc
    I havent been able to return to work yet as my work want me to get this appointment out of the way first, then I have to see company Dr.
    Some days I am itching to get back to work and other days I really dont feel I will be able to manage.

I was told before the op, that it could take anything up to a year to fuse and in some extreme cases, longer.

I'll let you know the outcome of my appointment on monday

• HI,
    As above I said Id let you know the outcome of my xray and consultants appointment yesterday.

He said he could see that is is fusing.
    I asked if this is where he would expect it to be at this point and he said yes he was happy.
    I dont have to see him again until next March which will be the anniversary of my op.

Im possibly been a bit thick here, but does anyone know if the bone just carries on growing for ever more or how does it know when to stop?