Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

C2/ C3 buldging disc

PamPPam Posts: 43
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:46 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hello Everyone....
It's been awhile since I have been on the forum. I am hoping maybe someone can answer I question for me. I just recently had an MRI done and found out that I have buldging
at C2/C3 I also have a history of djd C4/C5/C6 with moderate bilateral foraminal narrowing and buldging at C4/C5/C6. I am wondering if the djd will also affect C1 - C3 in the future. I have never had any issues with C2/C3, my Neurologist says I may need surgery. Thanks so much!
advertisement

Comments

• Pam,

Good afternoon. As you can see by my signature, I have issues at the C2/3 - moderate osteophyte cluster on one side, 9mm bulge on the other. At that location in the upper spine, the cord is further away as it makes its entrance into the brain stem. As such, it takes a while for a bulge to hit the cord!

The motion that the C1/2 and C2/3 control in the neck is fore/aft and side to side, verses the other levels those plus twisting. The loading affects are also different. My surgeon is getting more concerned with the issues at my C2/3 due to numbness around my whole neck, pain at that level, and now constant headaches (occipital). Prior to that, he just 'kept an eye' on it. Still holding off.

The surgery at these levels is much more involved. I don't have the specific details, as we have not gotten to where I "need" surgery there. From my research, the longer I can put it off the better. All three bones (C1 C2 C3) are totally different types, so if they have to fuse, they have to anchor things differently than say C3/4 (same bone types). Please let us know what they decide, and I of course with my C2/3 what kind of surgery they offer. I hope you don't need work at that level. *hug*

Brenda
    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Hi
    Thanks Brenda! It's been awhile since i have been on line, i have been having a hard time working on the computer it triggers nerve pain in my hands. My NS is suggesting injections to C4/5 C5/6 and although C2/3 are bulging and painful he has not mentioned Injections to those discs. I have recently had 6 rounds of traction and massage and have had very little improvement, in fact massage causes more pain.
    Before the injury in June 2010 i was managing at a 1-3 pain scale and going to work every day. Since the injury i have been out of work since July my pain is at 6 and above everyday. I didn't realize how weak my spine has become since 2008, and i never had issues with C2/3 before this injury.
    What i do know is this my spine cannot take even 1 more injury.
    Take care Too!! :)

Pam
  • Pam,

Welcome back! From what my NS told me, the shots if given at the C2/3 or above entail a totally different approach in how they are done. He said that if 1000 shots were given at the other levels, only 1 or 2 are above C3! Gives you another idea of how odd/rare it is to have those upper levels go bad. Just look on the Internet to *try* and find out what symptoms one gets from that level, heh...almost none existent!

If this helps? The symptoms I've experienced so far:

Surface numbness around most of my neck - feels like I am wearing a scarf!
    If I eat food that required a moderate or large jaw opening to eat (steak, hot dog, hamburger), I will have a raging headache by the 3rd bite - starts for me in the base of the skull on the left side.
    My left earlobe is numb.
    My left eye gets a 'sticky' feeling - but no vision changes.
    Strange pinching pains on the top left side of my neck - I think that is more to the bone spurs than the bulge.
    My throat feels dry a lot just behind my tongue if that makes sense?

There are other little ones, but I can't think of them right now. Are you having similar, or additional? Like you, I am holding off as long as I can for that level. For what little I could get off the net, *that* level scares me even more than the revision + a level I am looking at in the next 6 months to a year!! Please keep us posted!

Brenda
    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • jrobinsonjjrobinson rhode islandPosts: 3
    i was just told that usually the levels tend to break down which I think maybe true because it is happening to me at the present time had c4c5c6c7 fused now c2 c3 is bulging and I have a disc on my spinal cord and also it may be giving me problems with my vagus nerve if not my lumbar issues I have been fused cervical and lumbar
advertisement