Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Swelling "down below" after 2 level ALIF?

BorderlessBBorderless Posts: 14
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:46 AM in Recovering from Surgery
This might be a strange question but I had L5/S1 and L4/L5 fusion done anteriorly on Tuesday. Everything went as expected and I was discharged today. I started noticing that the swelling from my incision is draining down to my toes as well as my penis. Is this normal? How long does this take to go away? Is it dangerous? Anything i can do to reduce the swelling? I got embolism stockings for my legs and I'm doing a lot of walking. Maybe I'm over doing it?

• I had a L4-S1 360 fusion on 1-20-10. I am 38. I did not experiance any swelling or drainage on my front incision. If you want to see what mine looked like, search for the post titled "Pictures!". I posted on the 3rd page on 1-29-10. I think there is one or two front shots. I spent a bit more time in the hospital than you. Personally, I would call my surgeon if I had any questions like yours!

Best of luck!