Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

walking canes

tarheelgirlttarheelgirl Posts: 473
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:46 AM in Pain Management
For those of you who use canes...what type do you use and do you get the benefit of less pain or better stability from it??

My doctor prescribed to me a quad cane...but i didn't feel as secure trying that one as a regular straight cane. I walked around Walmart with it before I purchased it, and to my surprise, it really did help!! It made me feel more steady, it took pain to a lower level since I wanst putting all my weight on my bad leg (sciatica)...I really liked what it did...I ended up buying it. Not sure how often I'll use it. In the house I hold onto things walking around...when out in public, my hubby is my stability. But, I'm so ashamed for my kids if they saw me use it. Is anyone else like this? I don't want to embarrass them in any way and I feel like I may if I use it in their presence. It's pretty silly, Iguess...but it's the way I feel. One of my boy twins (9 yearsold) has already told me that my back pain embarrassed him and that I'm just like his grandma. (my ex's mom who has every issue in the book and lays in bed all day and if she gets up, she scoots around her house in the scooter without her false teeth...a little creepy looking)

Anyway, any body else with these issues?? and give me feedback on your cane and how it works for youl

• Firstly, you should never feel embarrassed as you cant help the pain thats been dished out on you..Maybe take your children with you to a Dr's visit so they might comprehend what your going through..I really feel for you as Im 42 and get embarrassed myself when I go out in public with my cane..But Hubby said it helps and thats all that matters.

I use a cane with the 4 legs on the bottom and if it wasnt for this I would have had more falls than I already have..

If you do a search on the site for a peice thaqt a member has written called "Letter to the Normals from A chronic Pain suffer" it sums up what we all go thru and its so fantastically written and worth a read...Ive given it to a few people to read and they said it has helped them understand..

I hope I have made you feel a little better and remember there is always someone on this site to talk to..
    Take care for now
  • It has taken me a long time getting used to the fact that at times I have to use a cane. And, I'm always having to be reminded, are you using your cane? It does help me greatly when my right leg acts up. I don't use a four-pronged, quad cane.

Your children are at that age where they are easily embarassed. I would lay down the boundaries that it is something you need to use to be in less pain and they need to respect that. Its just one of those lessons all kids should learn regarding the disabled.

Best wishes,