Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I miss my stimulator...making me feel a little down...

RwillRRwill Posts: 300
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:46 AM in Spinal Cord Stimulation
As most of you know my trial was removed on thurs. I'm just suprised how down I am now. I knew it was helping but I guess I didn't understand just how much. My pain has really shot up...I'm probably just noticing it more now that I had a little bit of a break. The good news is that it did work I have to keep reminding myself of that. I've seen others who were sadly not so lucky.... I'm so sleepy and could just doing nothing all day. I've got the little ones so it forces me to do the daily grind but...oh my. Has anyone else experienced this down after the trial??? I'm sure I am not the only one....

• I felt the same when my trial was over. How long do you have to wait for the permenant one? My trial was on June 18th and I had the permenant one implanted on July 13th it seemed like a long time in between those dates and i felt it would never get here. I've had it in now over a month and it really has helped a lot. Your time is only around the corner. SLH
  • Six LONG weeks passed between my trial and permanent, and I felt the full force of the pain I battle come back when my leads got pulled. My pain, for example, has developed over 4 long years and I became somewhat attuned to its fury. But with the relief of the trial, all of my pain came roaring back and reminded me of its intensity in those 6 weeks.

I just kept counting my blessings that some relief would eventually come. My stim covers 60% of the my nerve pain. God be praised.
  • I was actually crying as they removed my trial leads, having anxiety about having to live with the pain again for several weeks. It helped not only that much, but I also knew that the "power" that it would give me would change my life. And it has.

Do you know how long you will have to wait for the permanent? I would have gotten the permanent within 2 weeks had I not gotten terribly sick with acute pancreatitis and been hospitalized for 12 days between the trial and permanent. It was a drama-filled holiday season that year. lol

Take care,

• I think most of us went through that, unfortunately. I know I sure did - my trial was February 16th, and my surgery was August 21st. It felt like years.
  • Sorry to hear you are down. I've not had a trial - not there yet... But after I got put on Lyrica I was amazed how good I felt. My back went, but I didn't know until I skipped 3 doses of Lyrica (to see how my neck was doing) that I realized how much it was covering my legs!!! So, vicariously, I have an idea what your going through. How soon until you get the permanent SCS? Again, sorry you're hurting again. *HUG*

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Thanks for your support. Looking back and being into my pain cycle I think it covered 95% of the pain in my right leg and 70-80% in my left. I'm real happy with those results!!! I didn't realize how much it was helping in my right leg until it was over. I still felt pain in my left leg so it was a little harder to tell but the intensity is definately stronger. I go in for an MRI on the 30th then I think the perm should be put in mid September. It's not too far away so I'll just take it day by day....
  • Rwill,

As far as my legs I would say Lyrica kicks around 80-85% of it down - I was amazed! Most times, 80% for the neck and arms. So my "SCS" right now (G) is Lyrica. I hope you find out soon - especially since you KNOW it was a positive method to control your pain. Keep us posted woman!!! :) *HUGZ*

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • That's great that it worked so well for you! The real implant always works better than the trial, so you should do really well with yours!

My right leg tends to be much worse than the left (which is funny, because there's more damage in the left. No rhyme or reason for these things I guess). When I had the trial, it worked, without a doubt, but when I got my permanent implant? I can't begin to describe how awesome it was to find out that each paddle worked on one leg and they could be controlled separately.

Now that I can turn my stim on and really crank up the juice on my right leg, I'm doing better than anyone ever dared hope. So hopefully, your coverage for your left leg will improve and you'll be able to tell your doctor that you are getting 90% in that one, too!

There is nothing like seeing the looks on their faces when you tell them you have 90+% relief from your SCS. Except maybe for actually being able to say it!
  • Chilerox- You're definately right that the pain sometimes makes no sense. I personally have more damage in my right leg and I feel more pain in my left. "Weird" I am really looking forward to the final placement.... I loved being able to control my legs separately during the trial(were you not able to?). I took me awhile but I finally figured out I could lower the power on my right leg up the left and turn the main power up and it would give pretty good relief. I hope the final is even better!!