Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Trial gone bad

beverly62bbeverly62 Posts: 17
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:46 AM in Spinal Cord Stimulation
I had my trial on Thursday. It was in my crevical area. As soon as I got up off the table the right lead moved. They had to redo it. It was so painful I thought I was going to pass out. By the next day the right lead has moved again and I'm not feeling anything on the right side. I met with the rep and he said that my space is so narrow due to having a 2 level cervical fusion that they arn't going to be able to make this work. He said something about maybe being able to do something like this but not having to go thru the spinal canal and putting the leads directly in the area of the pain.
Has anyone ever heard of anything like this before? I go back to my doctor Monday to have the leads removed and discuss my options. The feeling of the stimulator is very distracting and don't seem to be helping with my pain at all.

• So sorry that your trial is not going very smooth. It might be worth trying the other option just to see if it does work. For me the stimulation was distracting but in a good way. It helped me not think about the pain so much. Mine is for the lumbar and I haven't been fused so things are probably completely different. I hope you get some good news.....Take care, Renea'
  • Thanks Renea, this was about my last option. I've tried everything else from Botox injections to surgery with no releif.
  • So my dad had this stimulator put in his back about 1 week ago and this was just the trial stimulator and now a week later he is in the ICU with spinal infection and spinal damage. He is now paralyzed on his left side and and as of today he can not feel anything below his waist. The doctors at The University of Utah Medical Center said that the Infection was from the Doctors who put the trial in. They did not prep him right and the stimulator was not sanatized or prepared correctly. So now my father is fading fast all from the carelessness of those who over looked the details.There is alot more to this I just went straight to the point. So if there is anyone that knows what to do or that has been through this please let me know how to go about this and what to do. Please help me and my family.
  • Thats as bad as it can get . If he is with the drs hopefully they can get rid of the infection and he will get feeling back to that side. Keep us posted on how he is doing. Good luck,
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • Mitch,

One of the greatest risks associated with spinal cord stimulation is infection. When you have a device that is inserted into the body with part of it left external, it is a set up for infection. Prep is a huge part of the procedure and I find it difficult to grasp that any doc would neglect to have the prep and sterilization as the most important step. I'm very sorry to hear about your dad and I hope he gets better quickly.

Have you or any of your family had the opportunity to sit down and discuss this with the doc? If so what is his response to your questions?

I have a friend who tried twice to have an SCS implanted and both times it had to be removed because he developed an infection. The doc was super careful the second time to do everything possible to prevent a recurrent infection. My friend's body had a different idea and the system had to be removed. It was a sad event for him and his wife, because the SCS did provide some good relief for him.

It happens. They wouldn't have us sign a statement of understanding and a liability release if it didn't. It just stinks that your dad had to be one of the ones it happened to.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery,