Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

C-Spine Neuro /Spinal Cord - Body Flinches/Jerks ??

JoydancerJJoydancer Posts: 463
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:46 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
C-Spine Neuropathy

Finally getting thru another episode of nerve flare spasms lasted 2-3 weeks! I'm getting all too acquainted not only what the "phantom" nerve compression in my c-spine 6/7/8 can do with these painful and intense electrical spasms in my left arm, but witness the devastating result of what it does to my hand/fingers.

The episodes are intense constant burning electrical spasms for hours and hours, then proceeds to numbing atrophy loss of movement, then as the electrical spasms fade, leaves me with more disability and loss in my hand and fingers.

Whole Body Flinches/Jerks ???

Something that has been occuring for the past month I have been acutely aware of as I am getting a "handle" of going thru these nerve flare episodes, I'm noticing I have these sudden involuntary whole body jerks / flinches I guess you could call them. They are not connected to any movement but involuntary and the flink affects my whole body it's a while body jerk.

I was wondering if anyone else experiences these? I have them when I am sitting in my recliner chair relaxing, randomly, but more consistently occurring now every time I lay down.

I am concerned this is not from nerve root compression... and that it is positional induced and other neuro issues in my spine. MRI changes reported "deformed thecal sac" with spinal cord- - could this be connection to the body flinches?

Neuro & Neurosurgeon assessment coming up Sept. 23 can't happen soon enough!

• Getting ready to hit the pillows, but thought I would hit the forums a bit. :) I know what I have happen isn't close to your level but here ya go. *HUG*

In the web of my hand, I can see the muscle being zinged - as my surgeon put it "it shows nerve irritation" - and at the time for me, C6/7 - after surgery a few weeks it came back. My thumb will jerk or twitch might be a better term uncommanded. My right leg will 'jump' here and there - but no consistency in its' doing that. Of late I get these annoying 'twitching' spasms in my ribs to my breasts! That is weird for sure on the feeling side of the house! If I hit the heal of my foot (and MRI and such doesn't match) my leg will flinch. It doesn't do that sitting, leaning forward or standing, so I agree "position" can make a difference.

I'm so sorry you're going through all this Janelle. I agree that your September appointment, "couldn't come too quick". You for sure have my support *HUGZ* woman! :)

Can nerves cause what you're describing, you betcha! What nerve groups, of course I can't speculate. My feelings? If they are getting more progressive, maybe give your doctors office a call and see if there is anyway they could squeeze you in sooner? I hope you can...*HUG*

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • I have been having the same experience...it happens when I am relaxing...all of a sudden my hand will open and close, my arms will flitch up in the air, some times it is a leg, but mostly my upper body. I thought it may have to be just a flinch of falling asleep...but it happens alot! when i relax. And the movements are quite large....my arm will fly up - it is certainly not voluntary.

It was weird to see that you are experiencing the same thing. the docs know I have a bulge that pushes into the sac of the cord at c56 and a bunch of bone spurs, but i don't have any root inpingement, so they don't seem to be too concerned. that mri of the is from 09 and i just had a repeat monday - don't know if they will see any changes.

let me know if you find out anything.
  • I had the same movements and they were being caused by Lyrica, hope this helps!
  • I was told by my physical therapist that the muscle flinching that i was having was caused by nerve irregular nerve impulses. The nerves are working overtime.My hands and arms and legs used to do that when i was relaxing and sometimes when i was in the car my hand would flip flop around on me.It was very disconcerting.
  • It happens to me when I go to bed . I will be fine then allof a sudden my leg will jerk, my arm and then things settle down. Several minutes later it will happpen again both legs will jerk , my back will spasm.In the begining I would shake me up some what . Now I just live with it. Some nights are worse then others

Herniated discs C5-6, C6-7, bruising on spinal cord, bone spurs, and stenosis
    thorasitic #12 herniated disc
    L1-5 buldging discs and stenosis L2-l4
    Sciatica R leg
    Need to knee replacements
    Torn L rota cuff
    Severe Carpel tunnle both hands
  • Sorry my computer was done and had to go in for diagnostics -- just now able to get back on-line!

Thanks you all for the replies...sounds like you all have some things similar and different than I'm experiencing.

My "flinching" jerks is subtle but it is whole body
    not just arm, hand, leg. I'm seriously thinking it's connected to changes found in MRI "deformed thecal sac" and multiple changes in my fused (previously ACDF levels 3/4/5) and severe DDD collapse of 6/7 onto T-1/2.

I'm in limbo right now waiting to get another surgeon on board to five me an assessment/evaluation of suspected nerve compression on one or more levels. My OS fr 7 years wanted me to wait for serious neuro symptoms before venturing into the anterior and posterior surgeries for C-6/7 T-1/2, I arrived there in April with updated MRI, he suggested surgery be done anterior first for nerve compression on 6/7 T-1//2 but then backed off surgery and level of prognosis "not good" a week later (by voice mail) and suggested for me to get 2nd opinion !

Have appt. in Sept ouf of state NS next month. Also hope to get a neurologist on board too!

p.s. Wondering if all of you are taking neurontin or any other nerve pain meds like me and if any connection there for whole body flinch???

but still thinking more likely it's c-spine issues.