Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

bone scans for finding arthritis?

autumnjoyaautumnjoy Posts: 55
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:46 AM in Arthritis, Osteoarthritis
hi everyone. i finally had my appointment with the free medical clinic yesterday, after waiting 5 months for it!

the one thing i was hoping to accomplish with this appointment, was getting orders for new testing.

i had MRI's w/out contrast on my cervical and lumbar areas at the beginning of the year, and that's how i found out i have arthritis in those areas.

i also have flare-ups of pain in my shoulders, knees, thoracic spine, and hands. i have had this going on since the age of 12, but the flare-ups were more infrequent than they are now (i'm 35).

after many years of being told the pain was all in my head, or being told it was Fibromyalgia, they finally did the MRI's and the arthritis was found.

anyways, the doctor i saw has ordered a complete bone scan of my body.

has anyone else had this and found out about arthritis in other areas of their body?

is a bonescan more sensitive than MRI's?

i'm just really hoping for some more answers.

any help would be appreciated!

thanks.......... Autumn

• I'm going to have to look into this one. Let us know how it turns out?
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,848
    First showed arthritis in both of my shoulders.
    From that point on, I had X-Rays and MRIs of the shoulders every couple of years to check on the progression of arhtritis.

Starting in 2008, I went for X-Rays every 6 months since the arthritis was progressing.

So, for me the bone scan was the first diagnostic test.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • i had one done just confirmed somethings for me but yes good for finding out things..
    easiest test i ever had cause i went to hospital to have it they were so fast....
    just bring a book or something to do cause they first shoot you with dye....then i walked around like hour or so.....and the scan was so quick.....wish mri's could be so fast..
    good luck and hope it gives you some good answers
    keep us up to date
    neck,bone spurs pain started 04, back issues and fusion l4,l5 06~hardware removed.
    good few yrs. 09 pain sharp, numbness feet,legs, diagnosed fibro, neurop. legs.lung issues.
    daily goal do good thing for someone.
  • my scan is scheduled for September 2nd. i should be able to pick up the results a few days later. i will definately come back to share them.

i just want so bad to know what is really going on with my body. i am hoping that by having more results in my charts, it won't be such a guessing game when i go to the doctor, and they will stop shoo-ing me off. it's been going on too long!

thanks again for your responses.......... Autumn

• I guess by now you've had your bone scan, and hopefully it will give your doctor some info. When I had my first one, the scan lit up like a Christmas tree; there were SO many areas that were inflamed, and they glowed lime green on the screen. A friend of mine happened to be doing the scan, so he showed it to me before I left. Interestingly enough, when you are being considered for specific types of arthritis, the test is considered unreliable, but in my eyes, it was one of the most reliable tests; it showed inflammation in EVERY area that I had been complaining about for years.

Hope you get some answers - sounds like we have a lot in common, health-wise.

This discussion has been closed.