Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I hope I still get my pain meds

martyjommartyjo Posts: 57
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:46 AM in Lower Back Pain
Hi, I am now over 2 years status post L3-S1 fusion with bone graft. I've never really felt pain free but I have had times of what if call good fortune.
I have 8 screws and I believe 4 rods in my lower back. I've only been on Vicodin 5/325. My doctor gives me 60 pills a month. He does renew them but I don't feel that I'm overzealous with taking them . I take them when I need them. I don't know if I should ask for a stronger pill since he's pushing for hardware removal and another fixation at L-2-3. I don;t even want to go there on that one. I have yet to see anyone write about how great they felt after hardware removal. I have been adding aspirin to my daily regimen about 4 a day and that is way too much to take every day since it thins the blood. The other day I scratched a tiny sore on my arm and it bled so much.So, i've cut back to 2.

I wish I could find someone out there who's had this surgery and feels the same way. Sometimes the skin at my lower back is so thin over the screws that if I brush it or press on it in any way I get alot of pain both in my back and in my butt

Oh well, I see my Ortho Doc tomorrow and we'll see what happens. He's ultra conservative. As long as the hardware is still sitting where it's supposed to be then I'm ok with taking 2 - 3 pain pills a day. I don't think that that is alot. I'll let you know if he cuts me off. I mean 60 pills a month at 2 every 6 hours and I get them refilled at the end of the month. I don't think that's bad.

• I am looking at an ACDF surgery in the near future. My symptoms are left arm pain, neck pain/headaches, and left fingers tingling. I fell on the ice twice last winter and my arm went dead for 20-30 minutes and felt like i was shot in the shoulder. i have severe stenosis at C5-C6. My concern is how long i have to wait before going back to work. I started a new job in July and am trying to accumulate more time off before doing this. I do not have to lift heavy stuff at work. I am thinking one week, but my surgeon thinks otherwise. also, i am an intra-operative neuro-monitoring technologist, so I know what the surgery entails. Thanks.
  • and unfortunately we get used to them .just one bit of advice be careful with aspirin .its a good drug but can cause gastric bleeding .i sometimes have a soluble 300mg aspirin but i put it in a glass of fizzy water {pint of} so its as dilute as possible .less of an assault on your stomach ! .if you feel that you need s
    stronger pain meds then go and have a talk with your doctor and be honest with him/her .i did the same thing a few months ago as i kept running out before my script was due .and as long as your symptoms fit with the amount of pain you are in then you should be fine .i mean if you can walk in and do the splits and hop around your doctor office ..then he/she is going to think that you dont need stronger drugs !! but if {like me } you can't even sit down in the waiting room or on the chair in his office and you have a wad of hospital notes to back up the reason you need medication you will be fine {have you tried a TENS??
This discussion has been closed.