Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Motorcycle Riding post-cervical fusion

tiresmokettiresmoke Posts: 10
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:46 AM in Recovering from Surgery
This might seem like a random question, but has anyone taken motorcycle riding back up after a cervical fusion? One of the things I enjoy the most is riding my bike... to lose that would be quite depressing.

• MetalneckMetalneck Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,364
    .... I ride no more ... Neck can't take the jerking and my arms don't have the strength.

I do miss it dearly.

Spine-health Moderator
    Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!

• I had a cervical fusion in 1992 and in 93/94 i rode.Had another cervical fusion in 1995, but sold bike in 95 and never replaced it.
    So yes it's o.k. no problems here.
  • I currently ride a sportbike... I'm guessing that, at least, I would have to get off the sportbikes and move to a standard / cruiser. The neck position and weight on the arms and wrists would probably not be great -- it already keeps me off the bike most of the time. :(
  • A good friend of mine is fused at C5-C6 as well as L4-S1. He rides a Harley Sportster back and forth to work every day as well as takes a road trip from Maryland to Florida once or twice a year. He says there's no issue other than some stiffness the following day after a longer ride.

• me tooo i love my bile had 2 major back surgeries!!! 10 screws, and now i need neck surgery, i rode a few after the bsck !! but now idk, cuz of the neck i will have the beck surgery, i am trying to sell the bike noe ,we shall see what happens long trips are over!! but sitting up with the neck pain on the bike kills me!!! because the pain is rite onthe bone, and bruised, terrible , thank god i can walk, how was the surgery/ i am scared of that need a 7 level fusion!! i hate to have to sell the bike but its just sitting there , what else can i do have to take care of me, the feeling ylu get from riding is awesome!!! i will never give up i have to makre it to sturgis one day, and my bike is all hooked up ape hangres white walls loud pipes cruiser ect ect i will miss it but i have seen many ride again after back surgery i do not know of the neck? how do u feel? never ride when u u feel fear!!!!!!! if u ride a crotch rocket forget it!!! because u are leaning down more!! i MISS IT TO TRUST ME, I LIVE AND LOVE TO RIDE!!!
  • Hello,
    It is never easy when our condition imposes restrictions beyond our control and I too have had to give up many of the sporty things I so loved to do. Seeing the bike every day does not help and only makes us reflect on a past life and the frustration of not continuing.

It sounds as if even a short time would be impractical and only you know how much pain that creates, we do not have an easy answer.

What is the maximum time you could ride safely and how would that impact on your condition, is any riding better than none, only you know.

Have a try do short trips, what are the risks and do you feel safe.

Happy days take care.

• john, not long at all i go around a few times had to pull over cuz of the new numbness in my left calf on down pulled a muscle, after over a year of surgery, i wear a garment for my back it helps, i rode last nove 40 min both ways, in dec found out about my neck, terrible, done everything my bike is a crusier , and now trying to sell it is hard to let go i do not know how i will feel after neck surgery, hoping i will be ok, and one day ride again, i dropped it was afraid i hurt the bike lol. that was a few weeks ago the bike is fine tho, since i have bags and crash bars boy did i need a drink s=after , but i dont drink!!!i am trying to focus and stay positive!!! the mind is stronger than the body!! but i had so many dreams of riding cross country, all gone now. that feeling the wind blowing through my hair!! suxx, now i have to let go and it is hard !! i am hoping one day i will ride again!!!! but i cannot say, i do ride a low incline bike @ the gym for 20 min, most of the time i walk in the pool!!!
  • I talked to a coworker whose son broke his neck in a car accident a number of years ago. He needed a substantial bit of work including multi-level fusion and instrumentation. However, she says that he's doing great... drives a truck for a living, works out, lifts weights, etc. Apparently, immediately after his accident, he didn't even have use of one of his arms.

I guess everyone is different and he's one of the lucky ones.
  • Hello my husband and I have road for 14 yrs. and I refuse to give it up because it's my soul and spirit. I had surgery on C5-6 Fusion 07 then had Revision 09. Im currently having surgery on L4-5 and L5-s1 ADR and Fusion.Of course I don't ride like I use to only on good days.We also have a chopper which I never ride to rough. We have a cruiser which is as comfortable as riding in a car and we take lots of breaks to stretch.I know everyones situation is different but this works for me. Good luck.
  • I still ride, in the spring, it is 10 minutes to 20. Then I build things up. I find the wind hitting me, produces a core building that cannot be duplicated.

At this time of year, I am good for an hour and then off for about 10 minutes and then gone again.

My longest - was last years - 400kms - most of a day, and I was crippled for about 2 days, but still had a smile of my face. A week later I was riding for an hour again.

Get your Dr's ok -
  • I wasn't fused but had a micro-d on my C3 and C5, also T8. I love riding but haven't been since because of all the head turning. I am only 7 weeks out but I am going to wait at least another month or two before I try and ride for five minutes or whatever. I am also afraid of the forward position, even though I ride my dad's bonneville which is pretty upright, becuase I tend to have bad posture. I was also told to not even ride my bicycle for a while because my body can't handle having a crash right now. I am dying to get back on but I am going to make sure I recover well and am able to be just as responsive to the road before I hop back on. Take it easy and good luck brother.