Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

baffledbbaffled Posts: 375
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:46 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
can vertigo be a cervical issue? what i understand it is usually an inner ear problem, but I don't feel sick at all - just have really bad vertigo. It has improved over the weekend, but still hanging on - especially when i bend my head to the left (ear to shoulder). I mean I can't tell which way is up, where the floor is and so on. Mind you I don't have much range, so it is a pretty light tilt, but I almost hit the floor at the gas station last night, when I tried to see something in the glass case.

just wondering if any one else has experienced this and what was the cause. I am guessing it is just a middle ear thing...but i had this @ 1-2 years ago, when I would be laying down and i would tilt my head to see behind me - it was scary then. But then it stopped.

just wondering, patti

• jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
    I had severe stenosis at c-4,5,6, and 7. I had real bad bouts of vertigo. To the point I was afraid to drive or leave the house by myself. I could not tell up from down and would always have to sit as soon as it started or I would fall, After surgery to correct the stenosis I have not had anymore episodes.
  • Welcome back to the site.

I experienced some vertigo about six to eight months after my ACDF, by that time I was having lumbar problems. Anyway, in my case, the first time was when I was sitting in a chair having my hair cut. I was looking in the mirror and all of a sudden everything started twisting and turning and it totally freaked me out. I didn't want to tell the lady cutting my hair so I looked away, down at the floor to try and get a grip. That worked but I battled with that for several months before it went away. It seemed like it would hit when I was looking in a mirror or through glass, like maybe the reflection was the problem, but I'm not sure. I still wonder why that happened...

Sorry to hear you're having this. I understand how unnerving it can be. Take care and it's nice to see you again, although I wish it were because you just wanted to say "Hi" to some old SH buddies.

• I've had vertigo brought on by two separate mechanisms. First time was caused by damage to the vestibulocochlear nerve. This vertigo made everything spin in more of a sideways direction.

The second bout was what is called Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo (BPPV)which is where small crystals formed out of calcium carbonate "fall" into the semicircular canal of your ear and cause positional vertigo. With this type of vertigo a change in position like lying to sitting or the reverse, moving one's head up and down, back and forth ... all can bring on an intense floor collapsing forward spin. The cool thing is this is normally easy to treat and a person can even be taught how to treat themselves should this occur again.

Usually with BPPV, I move and about 5 or 10 seconds later it hits for about 30-45 seconds and as long as I don't change position, it stops and settles. Once I move my head again, it produces a repeat event. I was shown how to work the crystals out of this part of my ear, and successfully stop the vertigo..

Hope this helps.

• The vertigo is still there, but not as intense as it was this weekend. I feel more "dizzy" and tend to walk with a forward lean when I get up from a sitting position. I am learn how to balance myself when I have to bend over. Which is quite a bit in my line of work.

If it is just an inner ear thing, the crystals, is it worth calling my GP? Can they do anything to help...besides the one medication I have heard alot of. Not really sure I want to take yet one more med, even if it is temporary.

Still waiting on MRI report - but it has only been 3 days - but who is counting!
  • I had frequent dizzy spells last year and went to ER and my B/P was high and they thought it may be that I was in pain but they did a CT and it was normal. Then my Dr. told it me it was a virus or crystals and should resolve on it's own and B/P went down and stopped taking the pills.

It has stopped mostly for me but sometimes laying in bed and turning my head to the right brings on the dizziness suddenly but find it helps to sleep on two pillows well my Dr. suggested this to help what C says Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo (BPPV). I also have C6-C7 with nerve impinging so wonder if that has something to do with it?

Anyways glad you're getting your MRI results soon. If you're still having symptoms maybe you can get the results back sooner or see your GP, take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Yes it is always a good thing to contact your GP. Someone who is trained in treating BPPV can easily help reposition the crystals and in a matter of minutes, completely stop the vertigo. They can also train you on how to do it yourself, because sometimes it happens again.

However, the important thing is to find out exactly what the vertigo is from. BPPV is only one type and your doc should be the one to investigate the cause of your vertigo.

Let us know what you find out.

• i also have nerves impinged in my neck, the worst being at C6-7, and i also get dizzy spells at times. especially if i'm laying down and put my head back. i feel like i'm still falling back, even after i've layed my head down.

i've always thought it had something to do with those nerves being pressed on.

i've never had any problems in my inner ears.
  • So i finally couldn't take the vertigo - saw my GP, who checked my ears. She stated that my ears look fine, no fluid. So she gave me a perscription to help ease the vertigo (yae, another script). If that doesn't help, then it is off to an ENT.

I know that there are a few of you that have gone thru this. Should she have been able to see fluid, if it is an inner ear issue, or is she not specialize to qualify that. My son has an ENT - major issues with his ears...so I have one to see, if the need arises.

Does the medicine (antiventt) cure the problem - if it is an inner ear thing, or just help the symptoms.

thanks patti