Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pain Psychologist appt.

nmacnnmac Posts: 112
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:46 AM in Spinal Cord Stimulation
I got a call yesterday from my PM office. Seems that I have been referred for a Pain Psychologist appt. I didn't need one before my previous SCS trial. My guess is my insurance is requiring it before I can try another SCS. Any way, have any of you been to a pain Psychologist? What happens there?
Severe DDD. Klippel Feil Deformity. Cervical Foraminatomy that turned into Lamy. I have tried so many treatments, therapy's and medications.

• I had to have a psychological evaluation before my insurance would approve the trial, but have never seen a pain psychologist. Think it is serving the same purpose? They just wanted to insure that I was in the right frame of mind, not abusing medication, was ready for the disappointment if the trial didn't work (being realistic about success),perhaps even determining if my pain is real and how it has affected my life, etc. I was all worked up about it, fearing giving a wrong answer. It was nothing like I thought it would be. The doctor was extremely nice and put me very much at ease.
  • My pain doctor had me doing therapy through their office, and I had to have an evaluation done by the therapist before they would do my trial. It really wasn't a big deal at all. She wanted to know what I would consider successful results, why I wanted to do it, how I'd feel about having a foreign body implanted in me, etc. Made sure that I don't have any history of paranoia, because in her words, "If you tend to think aliens implant things in you, and we implant something in you... that would not be good!"

She also had a stimulator and leads that she showed me that I was able to hold and look at, which was nice since I hadn't seen one before. It was definitely nice to see that the stimulator wasn't a big old thing, lol.

It was really just a basic, easygoing conversation. Try not to worry too much! :-)