Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Two days and counting

Frank007FFrank007 Posts: 12
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:46 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi everyone,

On Friday I will be receiving a three-level ADR. I can't believe I'm typing those words. I thought I never would.
It would not have been possible for me to gather the information needed to make this happen without the help of everyone here. From the bottom of my heart I want to thank you all.
When I return I'll be sharing the details of how - get ready for this - my insurance approved the whole thing, three discs and all.

I've never had surgery before. Not sure how to prepare or what to look out for. Can anyone give me advice or a heads-up?

• Best wishes for your surgery and check out must haves list for what you may need after surgery. http://www.spine-health.com/forum/back-surgery-and-neck-surgery/post-op-must-haves-0 More so needed for lumbar surgery. Lots of bendy straws for cervical surgery. Try to get everything in your house so you can reach it without bending or stretching to reach it. Take care and keep us posted when you can. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Can we assume it's lumbar? For either surgery, grabbers are a must-have, no doubt about it. With lumbar, I also found the toilet-seat riser (or toilet-seat/shower chair combo), shower chair and walker also very important. I was able to sleep in my own bed, but getting out is difficult so I wore silk-type pajamas that helped me slip over the sheets.

I'm not sure what you can expect as far as pain post-op being a 3-lvl ADR, but I'm pretty sure you'll find that the first few days to a week you might not feel too bad due to the anesthesia they put in the wound, but once that wears off, then the real pain begins. For me, the first two to three weeks were the worst then things started to improve. In the coming months, try to measure your improvement in weeks, not days, or it might get a bit frustrating. Any spine surgery comes with a long recovery, but it really does vary from patient to patient. I hope you're one of the lucky ones that improves very quickly.

In any case, good luck on your surgery and I look forward to seeing your first post-op report.
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084

ADR or ACDF? I've not seen a multiple level cervical artificial disc replacement so I'm intrigued if they'll do C3-C4 and C4-C5 and C5-C6 and C6-C7. Most four level operations are fusion (ACDF)

2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos