Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

How often does SSD do evaluation after being approved

beverly62bbeverly62 Posts: 17
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:46 AM in Health Insurance Issues
How often does Social Security do evaluations after being approved and what is involved?

• Good Morning,When I recieved my awards letter it said since my condition was unlikely to improve they would not review my case until between5 and 7 years.As it has only been 2 so far I have a few years left I don't have any idea what they do but I imagine they will look at your medical records and maybe send you to one of their Doc's.But I would look more closely at your award letter to see if there is any clue.Good Luck. Turkersmom
  • It can be as soon as 18 months if they think you are able to go back to work. 3 to 5 years if they think you might be able to go back to work. 5 to 7 years if they think you will never be able to work. Mine is every 5 to 7 years...They send you a Disability update report to fill out. It easy to fill out and most of the times in about a month send a letter back stateing if they are going to need more info or not. Your paperwork from your hearing should state how long you are disabled.
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    It depends in large part on your specific conditions, likelihood of improvement, and your age.

If someone is approved at age 60 for severe degenerative spine arthritis it's unlikely there would be any review planned before the SSDI becomes SS Retirement.

If someone who is 30 and awarded SSDI for a fractured vertebrae with fusion and the medical information indicates potential improvement and eventual ability to return to work, then that person may find a review in 18 months or a few years.

Sometimes the potential review period is stated on the SSDI approval letters, other times it is not. And, even if they say 2 year it could be longer depending on SS backlog, etc.
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • My approval letter said one year in my case. It stated that they think I will improve. I'm age 58. I will be age 59 at the one year point. I have had one cervical and one lumbar sugery so far. Both of these resulted in more pain than I had before the surgery.

I have one more surgery. I am having a two level discectomy/fusion either in December or Jan. My review is March or April next year. I do not believe I will improve based on what has happened so far.

In my acceptance letter it stated I was of advanced age. It was significant to them I am on narcotic meds. The letter stated they were surprised I had not improved thus far.

My daughter says that at my age and my condition it is not likely they will ever revoke my SSDI. I don't think so either.