Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

5 months post micro and bulging disc

kaz modankkaz modan Posts: 5
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:46 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
hello, i had micro on l4 l5 5 months ago because i had severe footdrop and doctors said this is an emergency and i would have permanent damage if not done. well, my foot drop is gone but i still have the tingling in the legs everyday sporadicaly, and like most, mornings when i wake up, my back hurts as well as my legs. anyhow i had an mri done yesterday and my gp called me later to make an appt, i see him today btw. my question is, i had micro done 5 months ago and the mri states i have a slightly increase bulge from pervious mri-done 5 months ago. is this normal? i actually feel better now than the past 5 months and my neurosurgeon, pt all say i am better than 90% of peeps that had this done. just kinda worried about increased bulging disc, anyone have this happen to them, is this common?

ty, i understand back issues now, b4 i thought peeps were babies, now i realize the struggles of doing minor activities on a daily basis and it is depressing

• There is no way to compare cases, but I will relate my empirical evidence to you anyways.

I had residual tingling and numbness in my calf for a good 6 months after my micro-d. Finally, it went away.
    The nerve was compressed for almost a year prior.
    The more time it is compressed, the more time it needs to get back to normal if it wants to.

On the sunny and mild Central Coast of California

L4-L5 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy June, 2007
    L5-S1 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy May, 2008
  • Hopefully you got some good news today. Yes it is possible to re-herniate after surgery. Sometimes it matters and sometimes it doesn't. Remember they only treat what is bothering you. So make sure you know exactly what you are feeling. This is where a pain log comes in handy. Also sometimes they fix one thing and then you realize that there was something else going on but it didn't stand out because of the other pain. And as Paul said it can take many months for everything to get as good as it is going to get.

Please let us know what the doctors said. Hope it's only good.
  • I find it amazing when someone tries to tell you that you are better. IMHO only you can know if you are 90% better. They have no way of knowing what your pain is and what difficulty that can cause. Now in terms of functionality, I have no doubt that they can do some evaluations, but that's just the tip of the iceburg isn't it.
    I had re-herniations. Like the previous poster said it depends on the correlation of symptoms with the herniation. My first re-herniation after micro-d was the same symptoms all over again except even worse, way worse. It was very large though. Had a lami to fix that. After that re-herniated toward the left again, but small this time. When I saw the surgeon he said the symptoms were in line with my degenerative disk pain, not the small herniation. After research I could see how sound his explanation was. Unfortunately in addition to that herniation I developed a large right paracentral herniation at that same level again. This time symptoms correlate to the herniation. And I could tell the difference this time from the DDD pain and knew it was comming from the herniation. I hope your doc shows you your MRI and really explains your particular situation. Goodluck.