Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pre-op clearance

TraciTTraci Posts: 92
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:46 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I hope that soon I will be able to help someone else because I seem to only be able to ask for help right now. I am supposed to have a PLIF on Sept 16th. Today I was at my GP for the surgery clearance and was told that my blood surgars are to high (271 fasting) and that the clearance is "pending" on the blood work that I have to have done again on 9-9-10. I almost cried at the Doc's office because "what ifs" came up. (I am not really a crybaby) What if the sugar does not get better and the surgery is cancelled and the pain continues. The doc said that it should come down if I do "good" with the byetta and metformin along with better eating. I confess that I have not been being "good" but I am going to do better. I need this surgery - at first I was scared and have stayed up worrying about having the surgery but now I am concerned about not being able to have the surgery. What a mess my mind is in. I am so confused. Thanks for listening. This forum is the best.
Traci
advertisement

Comments

• Howdy Traci,

Sorry to hear your levels are high, but maybe they are catching Diabetes before it becomes a problem? My hubby went through the 'too high of levels' routine, and they found he had 'diet controlled' Diabetes. In basic for him, once he dropped like 20 pounds, he no longer needed medication.

You may find that the meds they give you 'control' the sugar, and then you should be cleared. They want to make sure of course that you have as much as possible on your side for surgery. :) Please let us know how it goes Traci. Support *HUG*

Brenda
    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Those BG levels are really high. As a fellow diabetic, you need to do everything possible to get your numbers under control. They need to be under a 100 for sound control. Uncontrolled diabetes can interfere in the success of your surgery. It's good that your doctor is trying to help in this area. If you'd like to talk more, I can give you a link to a forum that provides support for fellow diabetics.

PM if you need more info.

Dave

P.S. Have they done an A1C test?
  • Hang in there! It is a good thing that they are giving you the best start possible for your surgery as this is a journey.

My surgery was canceled twice, both times the night before. Originally it was scheduled 12/23, so my family made plans for me as I would be in the hospital during Christmas. When it was canceled the night before, we all had to scramble.

I am a firm believer that everything happens for a reason...it took over two months to get approval. I live in Tx and my insurance is out of Minn. The day of my surgery, my surgeon was so compassionate as he knew how long I had been waiting and how bad I had deteriated. He, personally, was the one that go the approval! :)

The day of surgery, I was his only one! :)

Take care! and hang in there!
  • Thanks yall. My A1C was 8.7. Terrible - on the chart that meant that my average was 240 - BAD. With it being another day today- and the advise - I feel much better. Thanks again.

Traci
    Traci
  • Wow, you got some work to do. Here's hoping you get those numbers down quickly so you can get on with surgery.

Dave
advertisement