Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Bionac womanback neck surgery

claudiacclaudia Posts: 167
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:46 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Here i go again , scarry thought the headaches are killing me nothing helps. looking at c-3 c-4 c-5 c6 c-7. also t-12 l-1, sixxx for me. I dont know is the neck surgery better than the back? already had two back surgeries as many of you know with 1o screws , i m so lost for words!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Hi Claudia,

Sorry you are having so much pain with your neck and the headaches. What exactly is wrong with all of those levels and what type of surgery are they discussing. Have had a MRI and a emg study? What about some blocks and what types. Doing that much surgery on the cervical spine is very uncommon. Before I would agree to any surgery that involved that much, I would be getting multiple opinions as well. The one thing you have to think of is how much ROM you will be loosing if all of that involves fusion. So please write back and give us more detail. Keep in mind because all of those levels show issues doesn't mean they are they are all symptomatic. Also as most will tell you doing surgery on the cervical spine more is not necessarily better. You have to keep in mind they are working around the spinal cord itself.
  • Wow! I agree with Tamtam, that is a LOT of levels in one surgery. Anytime you go past 1 level, the risk for fusion failures go up and up. I've found that to be true with fusions done a year apart! I love and respect my NS greatly, but if I were given that many levels (me 5-8), more opinions from NS's that focus and specialized on multiple levels for sure!

As Tam asked, what is causing such a large decision on the part of your surgeon? I know for me the pre-surgical pain, weakness and numbness is the worst! From your posts I've seen on here today, you are there now. But...it is from *all* these levels? What kind of testing too have they had you undergo? What kind of surgery are they recommending?

Anterior and Posterior (my guess)
    Fusions with decompressions?

I guess what I am getting at, is though a lot of levels, they can do multiple approaches to address each level as is deemed necessary. Please let us know what is recommended, and what tests, symptoms etc. We might be able amongst us with varying levels help answer more of your questions. *HUGZ* So sorry you are hurting so bad and scared (understandably) too!

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • well my back is fused this time , still in pain w/ numbness, now my neck ihave had therapy epidural injections theses headaches i found out in December, had 3 mri and ct scans, for both, one of the cages in my back has slipped out i have leakage back there the t 12 L-1 is not that bad yet, but my neck is the worse , and in the morning when i hit the pool it is cold i feel my left hand tingling /numb,doc recommendation,C-4 to C-7, testing on T12 L1-l in my back ,i already had 2 major back surgeries as time goes by it does get worse, i went to E.R, on Sunday, and brought in my papers, and e.r doc. suggested, also he gave me a shot i felt better til 9 pm, it is these headaches, and the bone on my neck that gets so big from the pain, i do not know!!! FYI, also see a shrink, for the depression again, after march was a yr , and the insurance cut me off i was going once a week, 2 min from my house, and i miss talking w/ her and i want to go back!!! it sux, i never asked to get hurt, and how dare u say it is not work-related it is!!! it is my SPINE!!! that just makes me feel worse!!!thank you all for yr support
  • hey thats really sad that you are having alot of pain.. i must say you should take alot of rest in order to be fit and fine

Standards agreement and posting rules
    Please note that Spine-Health reserves the right to edit any messages posted or submitted or e-mailed to the Company and use them for content on the website or in other company materials. No e-mail solicitation or advertising of other companies, products, services, or web sites is permitted in the Spine-Health.com forums.

Post Edited by Moderator haglandc
  • Tamtam, well c-4 c-7 had numbers of mris ct scans emg pt therapy!! nothing works not even the meds they gave me! i already had an L-2 L-3 L-4 L-5 s-1 done on my back also have leakage on spine t-12 l-1 is messed up as well, very scared with the neck surgery, idk , it has been recom by 2 docs and emergency room doc!!! very scared and depressed, dont know if i want to do it but what will happen if i do not??