Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Romeo63 introduction

ROMEO63RROMEO63 Posts: 7
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:46 AM in New Member Introductions
Hello everyone... my name is Rob, and I have been using Spinehealth over the past few months,But hav'nt introduced myself until now. I worked in the transportation industry til August 18 2008. I drove and operated tractor trailers. On the evening of the eighteenth,I fell backwards off of the truck and broke my right hip and damaged the lower spine. I have had two hip surgeries. The first surgery,my hip was plated and pinned. After five months, a c.a.t scan reveiled a non union of the hip joint. The second surgery was a total ceramic hip replacement,Febuary 23 2009. My spine was compressed resulting in bulging discs,annular tears and disc material pressing against the L5S1 nerve roots. I have been diagnosed as a chronic pain patient, and have been living with that condition and all that it entails for two years. I am grateful for this website and have learned so much from it. I hope to learn more and be an encouragement to others who suffer as I do..... Takecare everyone !!!

• Welcome to Spine-Health. I guess since you've been lingering for some time, I don't need to tell you the value of this site and how great the members of the forum are. I'm glad you finally popped in instead of just peeking over the fence.

I'm sorry to hear about your accident and the problems you're facing. Is there no plan for fixing the problems you have at L5/S1? No suggestion of decompression or fusion? Have you tried any injections or other non-invasive treatments?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just trying to get to know you better and what road you have travelled along the way to try and find relief from the chronic pain.

Take care and I look forward to seeing you around the forums.
  • Tat's rough you've been through so much because of your accident. We're here to support you and glad you signed up. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Howdy Rob,

And like was already said, Welcome to Spine Health. It sounds like you already know your way around. :)

Bummer on the freaky accident there. 2 hip surgeries, I am sure that WASN'T a thrill to go through! With all of what you now have going on in your L5/S1, have they offered you what the possible options are to get you some sort of relief? Please let us know what they tell you. We are here to give support and hugz when needed. Take care, and welcome from the shadows!!! :)

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Thankyou for your kind welcome Brenda... I completed nine months of physiotherapy,have had one m.r.i,six c.a.t scans and around twenty xrays. I visit a chronic pain doctor every six months,have an appointment next week. I take 20mg oxycontin three times a day,300mg gabapentin three times a day,5mg oxycodone for breakthrough and flexeril for muscle spasms. As far as the future, the doctors want to wait and see how my spine is in a year and a half. They do not recommend surgery right now. Also,I take various vitamins and minerals to strenthen bones and keep my head on straight.... I have been taking nortriptyline for sleep and depression,but I quit cuz I started to become 'twitchy'... Anyways Brenda that's about it in a nutshell....Takecare and thanx again for the welcome.....
  • Thanx Charry, for your kind welcome. I am glad to be here at spinehealth. I see you have the L5S1 problems as well. Takecare and wish you well....
  • Wow! A year and a half?? It at least sounds like you have doctors 'watching' to be sure things don't go south on you. I'm on an RV vacation - heading home now, and once they confirm my Neuropathy is not from disease (say.. diabetes), I will probably be having a 2 level lumbar done - L2/3/4. My NS just wants to confirm "I" match my EMG, MRI, and Me!!! Not thrilled, but now using a cane, so as they say, "somethings going on there!" (G)

Hopefully the meds they gave you are giving you enough relief? Please keep up on how you're doing. *HUG*

• hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. so glad you dropped by! you have certainly had your share of pain issues. i am so sorry for that! you have a great attitude and i am so glad you will be part of the forum. be sure and drop in anytime. good luck to you! Jenny :)
  • Hi Brenda, I have an appointment on wensday with my pain doctor at the hospital. I have some things to go over with him,one being my meds.My pain levels have shot up these past few months and I have become tolerant to the dosage... I walk with a cane as well as you do.I walk slowly and most people overtake and pass me.Once and awhile,I'll catch up and pass by a senior using a walker.It makes my day!!!...I hope all goes well with you and if any surgery is done will help you a 10O%. Takecare Brenda and enjoy your R.V.vacation ! ! ! PEACE.....
  • HELLO JENNY,Thankyou for your kind welcome,I am glad that I finaly took tha plunge and started to post.It is a comfort to know that thre are others who struggle with chronic pain and medical issues.For myself it is like starting a new life over. Thanx again and have a good day Jenny.........
  • Howdy Rob,

The RV trip went so well, we are going tomorrow to buy one!! :)

From your PM, I can see your PM doctor is pretty cool. He seems more 'human' and understanding vs playing hardball, and he seems to listen! That is always a good thing to hear!! Bravo! Please keep us posted, and of course if you ever need an ear, we are here! :)

• Hi Rob and welcome to the site...I have found it a great relief to speak to others that suffer from the same conditions..

Its hard to find such a lovely bunch of people as on this site and always someone to listen or lend an ear..