Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Gonna give it my best shot!

jayhawkjjayhawk Posts: 1,032
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:46 AM in Recovering from Surgery
Well it all leads up to this...all the pain...all the small milestones....all the setbacks and the struggling to get back to where you were....all the miles walked....

Tonight is the Cowboys vs Texans football game, also known as the Texas Shootout! I am going to go and I am so excited! And a bit nervous! Lots of walking, lots of sitting and some standing in place which is very difficult for me to do.

Last year I didn't make it to a game....couldn't walk that far...I am determined to give it my best shot today, with the understanding that I may pay for it the next few days...my entire family has season tickets so it will be a family affair and I haven't went through everything I have for the past 14+ months to stay home and hang out on the sofa!

I haven't seen much of my family since I returned back to work....today is the day!

Thanks for all your support! I can't wait to see how far I have come! I remember going to the Astros game in April still in my brace....this should be so much better!

• You will have so much fun..Football is my favorite sport except..go Packers!!! for me..lol

Sometimes it is worth it to just go and have the experience even if it hurts a little.

Me and my husband were in the bookstore last week and I was hurting..so I just stood there and waited for him. I guess it showed on my face cause he said "Are you alright? Lets go if your hurting." I just wanted him to be able to enjoy himself without me ruining it..so I was gonna just tough it out and wait..

Im glad you are doing better..I had to apply for S.S. disability today online..ugh..My long term disability company sent me a letter saying they require it since I have been off 6 months..Im sure I will be denied anyway but I hated to do it..:(

Think of you often
  • I agree your gonna be hurting tomorrow, but sometimes a person has to say "damn the torpedos" and go for it, and enjoy yourself with your family.

Thats a beautiful stadium Jerry Jones had built, your biggest problem, will be dealing with what i like calling "a cattle call" i know when i take my kids to a Chicago Cubs game that what it is, mass chaos.

Did'nt go this year for obivious reasons, but told my daughter we will make a few games next year.
    We always went to day games, but know she wants to check out some nite games, so thats what we will do.
    Sorry for the rambling on. Go and have fun.
  • It's great that you'll be able to get back out there and not only enjoy the game, but enjoy your family too.
    I hope that you don't suffer too much afterward. I hope you have an amazing time.
    Good Luck and best wishes! Football, too, is my favorite sport. Just can't wait for all these preseason games to be done with. Let's get on with the real action.
  • jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
    I hope you and your family have a great time at the game. Even though we know the next day may be bad...it is so worth it. I am a huge Nascar fan, I still go to the races knowing I am going to pay for it tomorrow but the point is I still go. Have a great time!!!!!!!
  • I had a GREAT time!! :) The game was awesome and I did great! I kept up with everyone and just once, when walking up the inclines, did I get a little behind. But other than that, I did great!

Unfortunately, later that night, My hubby stepped on my foot and the 3rd metatarsal bone is now broken....:(

I wish I was kidding, but.... I am hoping and praying that it will heal fast. I've been icing and elevating. my middle toe goes sideways......

Of course, he says...."if you wore shoes....." I don't like shoes. bare foot or flip flops....
  • So glad to see your planned evening went well. Short of the toe that is! (G) I know that had to feel good to get out and enjoy what you want for a change vs watching it on the old TV!!! Congrats on your wonderful nights journey!! :)

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Thanks Brenda! It felt sooo great! I had so much fun! I had forgotten how much fun it is to be out! I got so use to being home and not being able to do anything! I am going to try to make an effort to do something once a month!

Thank you so much for your friendship and support!
  • Jayhawk,

Thank you for your friendship as well!!! :) "Buddy" request sent.

I am similar in my thinking. "Do something" out and away at least once a month. Nothing big - doesn't have to be, but something special and AWAY from the bloody house! (G) Remember, "birds of a feather...." We just have a new normal that we have to work with is all! *HUGZ*

• I am so glad that you had a good time and managed to cope with it. :-)
    It must give you so much hope for the future and feel like you are progressing and on the way back to a normal life.

wow! So sorry about your foot! There seem to have been a couple of other spineys who have broken bones in their feet while recovering from their surgery!

Wishing you quick healing. Are you at home off work?
    I am back to work tomorrow!!!! Yeahay! My turn at last :D
  • I really am worried! I tried to down play it and yesterday opted not to go to have it looked at. But, it looks bad. I am worried that it may be more than just broken. I have broken lots of bones~esp toes, but this is different. It pulls to the side of the little toe, creating a big space in between the 2&3 toe. Like my toes give giving the peace sign~but it doesn't feel peaceful!

It is amazing how much it hurts. If it is broken, it may have to be aligned...:( I am trying to keep my spirits up....but my gosh.....I feel like the little boy from the Peanuts cartoons, the one with the grey cloud over his head...

Please keep me in your thoughts and prayers, that this can be easily fixed and I can continue to exercise in the pool.

I knew I shouldn't have worked out and went to the game. But...

Thank you for your prayers. I will let ya'll know tomorrow....I'll try to see my general ortho and if he is full I'll go to ER as tomorrow is day 4...:(
  • Jayhawk,

If you can't get to the Ortho, and end up with the ER, they should be able to get you all squared away. So sorry you are going through this. BUT....Don't be mad at yourself for having fun at the game!!! "Stuff" happens. Would it still be your fault if you just stubbed it at home? No!!! You have a reason for the toe/foot not cooperating with you! Get yourself looked at, and let us know how it went. Don't downgrade your wonderful night, okay? *HUGZ*

• Try to think of the fun at the football game as a seperate thing from breaking your foot. Although they happened on the same night, seperate them in your mind. That way the memory of the good time at the football game won't be spoiled! :-)

Do get that toe looked at. It sounds like it may need to be aligned again, and you want that done before it starts to heal.

I'll be praying for you, that it is easy to sort out and then healing can get underway. :-)

Take care >:D<
  • Oh Shari, it never rains but it pours. I really hope they can sort your foot out easily.

Glad you had a good time at the football, it is nice to be able to be "normal" for a change.

Best wishes for your foot

• So glad you had a great time at the game. I was at our game here in Baltimore on the same night. It was worth being uncomfortable for a few days to get out and have some fun.

Hope your toes are feeling better.
  • Hurricain Hermine is in the southern coast which means it will be storming the next several days and boy can I feel it! My hips are killing me and that scares me as that is the level(L3-4) I herniated at 2 months post op.

I am walking differently due to my foot and I hope this is why my hips hurt. This weather change is killing me!

When I was young, and would hear adults talk about the weather change and how they would feel it "in their bones" I would roll my eyes! :) LOL NOT anymore! Man, it hurts!