Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Epidural Injection

daisy maeddaisy mae Posts: 109
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:46 AM in Spinal Injections
I am being referred to have an epidural injection shortly and I'm wondering if someone could tell me the good, bad and ugly of it. Thank you, I'm sooo nervous about it!

• I have received several epis and just hope you get sedation for yours. Best to find out as for sure you need someone to bring you home after. With my injection I only get the numbing needles to numb the site but like with the Dentist it usually works way after the job is done. I feel a little pressure and sometimes pain in my leg but need the injections to help with the pain and sometimes takes a few days to work. I also get nerve blocks and facet joint injections the same time so a little tender afterwards but I put ice on my back and hip and take it easy for a few days so the medication stays down there and work.

Best wishes for yours my #5 is coming up on Thursday. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • :( Charry...Oh no! I was worried someone would say that! The first time I went to my appointment I was at the hospital and spread out on a cold table, shaking so bad and the radiologist comes in and flat out refused to do it on me. I was thankful because to tell you the truth I was dying in fear. but his reason was he thought I had something 'else' going on and wanted me to have further investigation. I went cold turkey and I already have severe anxiety/panic..to the point of amlost being agorophobic..so I was very upset.
    This dr who sent me to see the new guy (anethetist who specializes in the shots) said he would sedate me but their office called and she said "no, heavens no. Why would anyone need to be sedate dfor that"? I wanted to crawl through the phone at her..and well near the end of the conversation she did change her tone, I think she caught on that I was extremely scared, still didn't change the fact he doesn't sedate though. :( So not too sure. I was thinking of phoning the ref dr and ask for someone who DOES sedate...ugh. I just worry IF I do decide to go through with this I'll regret it but the pain I'm in now I wonder if I have much to lose???
    Thanks hag for the link!!! :)
  • I have had 2 epidurals. My doctor did them without sedation, under floroscopy in his office.

1st injection: was very, very nervous. He had me lay face down on a table, under the xray machine. He said he was going to nub the area with a couple shots. Each stung a little bit, but nothing too bad. He waited a couple minutes and proceeded to give the injections. I felt a little pressure, and a little bit of pain, though nothing major at all. Honestly it was no big deal, and I've had much worse at the dentist office.

2nd injection: same deal, but I wasn't as nervous. He did the numbing injections, which sting a little, and then went directly into the epidural. I'm not sure if he didn't give enough numbing agent, or didn't let it take effect, but it was very, very painful. I was taken by suprise, because the first was not bad at all. Pain in my back, leg and at the injection site. I wouldn't ever do another one like that.

I'm not sure what the difference was between the first and second injections. Since then, I have been to several other doctors who look at me like I am crazy when I tell them I have had two, unsedated epidurals. One even said that my doctor was the only one in town (Houston, TX) who does them without sedation, and that she would consider it inhumane to do them that way.

If you do get them done, get sedated, and I can imagine it would be no problem at all. Honestly the procedure is so quick, even unsedated, it isn't the worst thing ever. Both of mine took less than 5 minutes. Good luck, if you have any questions let me know.